Kegging and off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead10

Reaction score
The last two beers I have legged have been a dunkel and a brown ale. Both have had a sweet off flavor that I have never tasted before. I just kegged the second batch a week ago at 14 psi so it is still relatively fresh. I fermented in primary with us 05 dry yeast for this batch.

Have any of you had this sweet flavor to the beer ? I have never had this when bottling. Could it be "stones" in the beer line?? Or is it just a weak fermentation?

Over three weeks. Only fermented in the bucket. Did not take readings.

I have the process down after brewing for 5 years, but have never tasted this sweet off flavor... It's strange. It just tastes sweet and doesnt have a lot of body, not very effervescent.

Perhaps the brew is under-carbonated, such that the lack of sufficient carbonic "bite" leaves a normal level of sweetness over-exposed...

Cheers!

Is this a brand new kegging setup, or one you picked up and didn't change at least the beer lines/hose? I would always suggest at least replacing the beer side hoses when you buy an used system. Also, depending on the temperature of the beer, 14psi could be undercarbonated. Use this chart to determine the correct psi at temperature.

Over three weeks. Only fermented in the bucket. Did not take readings.

I have the process down after brewing for 5 years, but have never tasted this sweet off flavor... It's strange. It just tastes sweet and doesnt have a lot of body, not very effervescent.

It's surprising to me that after 5 years you don't see the need for gravity readings.

It's hard to give you any meaningful advice without them, or the recipe for that matter

A few possible issues

Carbonation

Under attenuation, possibly temperature related due to colder weather depending where you ferment

Too many unfermentable sugars in the recipe/mashing too high if Ag

Old hops, stored improperly, AA's depleted

Nice chart.

How does it change things if my co2 bottle is at 80 degres and my keg/beer is at 40?

It uses the beer temperature, not the CO2 temperature. I would also make the gas lines, outside the fridge at least, as short as possible (and still do the job right). I actually cut a few feet off of each of mine recently, since I didn't need them as long anymore.

Latest posts

Back