Cider separated in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
I started a batch of cider last night, and while nothing had seemed to settle to the bottom of the jugs the cider was originally in, there is now already a fair amount of material on the bottom of the fermenter that seems to have separated out. I'm a little concerned about this because I don't want to lose the good stuff from the cider, but at the same time I plan on cold crashing and don't really want a ton of yeast left over in the cider. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Are you referring to the normal Trub (pretty sure cider has a different name for it) you'd see while fermenting?

Are you referring to the normal Trub (pretty sure cider has a different name for it) you'd see while fermenting?

No it really looks the same as the stuff you would see on the bottom of cider jugs in the grocery store. I don't think it could be from the yeast when the yeast has only fermented down .008. The was no separation like this in the jugs when I got them from the mill, but then again they might have just not been sitting that long.. Or maybe it's a temperature thing? They were refrigerated.

Edit: I suppose given the settling of all that dense matter, they yeast probably hasn't even gotten as far as it would appear anyway.

Thats normal- cider produces a shocking amount of sediment quickly. Dont worry- the yeast will find the good stuff.

Thanks. I figured it was normal enough, but I also figured that was some of the denser apple stuff that I actually want in my final product. Like if you were to buy a jug at the store, odds are you'd shake it up before pouring.

I don't think you will end up with any apple bits in your final product. It will all settle out and mix with the yeast cake. You'd have to get a lot of yeast in the bottles to get apple sediment in there as well.

Back