Crab apple "juice" by boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I have about 10 crab apple trees near where I work. I have been picking them off and on for several weeks. Right now I have 5 gallons of crab apple wine and a crab apple cyser going.

I started to make crab apple jelly today. The recipe started by calling for boiling the apples for an hour with just enough water to cover. As I was curious, I decided to taste a little of the resulting liquid, and when mixed with a small amount of sugar it was pretty damn tasty. Now I want to make a cider with this. I can easily get 30+ lbs of these which would yield about 3 gallons of liquid. I was thinking of mixing it 50/50 with top-shelf apple juice top up the sweetness quotient and having at it. I know boiling the apples will set off all kinds of pectin, but other than haze is there anything preventing this from working? I honestly could give a crap about cloudiness so long as I get gallons of cheap, delicious cider.

It could possibly turn to jam? I'm not an expert at jam-making by any means, I have no clue. You could always throw in some pectinase.

Edit: Sorry, Australian lingo. Our 'jam' is your 'jelly'.

Latest posts

Back