trying to get my hefe's a little more creamy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
I have been trying to replicate konig ludwig hefeweizen but just cannot get the same " creamyness". Has anyone used a little oats in a hefe before or any other suggestions? I usually use about 50% wheat malt 50% 2 row with about .5lb crystal 10. use wyeast 3068 and ferment about 68. Just thinking a little oats may add the profile I am looking for.

I have been trying to replicate konig ludwig hefeweizen but just cannot get the same " creamyness". Has anyone used a little oats in a hefe before or any other suggestions? I usually use about 50% wheat malt 50% 2 row with about .5lb crystal 10. use wyeast 3068 and ferment about 68. Just thinking a little oats may add the profile I am looking for.

They're probably getting that mouthfeel by using a decoction mash.

Are you brewing it with extract?

I dont think its creamyness your tasting. I think its under hopping and a lower attenuation. I make 2 different hefes, one gets about 20 IBU and 1.060 and the other is about 10 IBU and 1.045. THe one with 10 ibu I have undercarbed in the past and it is was super good. It was mellow and smooth and i guess you could say creamy

I am brewing all grain and was thinking that doing decoction may help achieve that mouthfeel. I will try the undercarbing and lower og method first, sounds like what I'm after. Thanks

i think you need to switch from 2-row to german pilsner, that made a huge difference in my german brews. 2-row will get you in the ball-park, but if you're talking the 'intangibles' & really hellbent on making german-tasting beer, you gotta use their malt.

maybe try german wheat malt too?

Yeah I have never used fancy malts for a base before but may need too i guess. Could you tell a difference even in darker german beers?

the darkest beer i've done w/ them is oktoberfest where the imported malt is absolutely essential. i'm not much of a hef guy (don't dig the banana/clove), but when I was looking for my lagers to be 'creamier' and I couldn't put my finger how to describe it... weyermann base malts did the trick. Assuming there aren't any huge yeast/hop/roast ect. flavors in the way, german malts taste nearly like a luxurious dessert to me, whereas american base-malts just taste like regular beer. Ive had the best results w/ lighter german styles mashing short and hot, 156-157 for 25 minutes.

I've always assumed the yeasty character of a hefeweizen covered up any base malt subtlety, but this thread may show that that line of thought was wrong! if you switch it up for a batch, please post results :D.

Try adding .5 lb melanoiden malt - sort of a substitute for decoction mashing. Also try adding some maltodextrin. The maltodextrine can be added to the keg any time - just boil it in some water to sterilize and cool it down. Try .5 pounds of that and see what the difference is. I make a lot of hefs and weizenbocks - decoction mashing is a royal PITA - these two ingredients are how I cheat.

As for German malts - I have to agree - German wheat gives a distinct flavor over white wheat. I also started using munich or vienna malt in place of 2 row - much more distinctive malty flavor than 2 row IMHO.

Have you guys found a difference in taste between bottle conditioned and kegged?

Have you guys found a difference in taste between bottle conditioned and kegged?

I don't bottle anymore except from a keg so I can't really give an opinion on that but I don't think it should make much difference as long as the level of carbonation is right. Bottle conditioning is touted by some as better for higher gravity beers that need to age longer. Since hefs are best when there fresh, I guess it could be argued that kegging using the "shock and awe" form of force carbing means you get to drink it faster so it must be better. I'm not sure that it makes any difference.

Back