Colorado, container hops, and winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, so I've perused through quite a few other threads and I think I've got an idea of what to do, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to seek some further opinions.

I've got two first-year hops: one Centennial, one Goldings. Everything considered, both grew well this year and exceeded my expectations (15+ ft, big thick bines, healthy vegetation, etc.). I wasn't one of the lucky ones who got cones the first year, but that may be due to the limited duration of direct light available to my apartment's patio...

Anyways, I've gathered that even though Colorado gets pretty cold, the containers should be fine as long as the soil doesn't freeze solid. And even though there aren't cones this year, I should let the bine die back before thinking about trimming it.

I was wondering a couple of things:

1) Does anyone know of a resource that lists minimum temperature tolerances for various hop varieties?

2) If I do end up having to bring the containers inside, could the higher temperatures (still somewhat cold, ~60*F) cause the rhizomes to sprout again too early? And if so, could I just trim them back down as they pop up, no worries?

3) Is there any real need for light/moisture (snow, etc.) at all at the surface of the soil, or would covering the containers be an option while the crowns hibernate?

Thanks!

1. DavesGarden Plantfiles lists the species in general as being tolerant to Zone 3a or -40*F. There are also listings for specific varietals however, the plant specifics are user input I believe and unverified so, take them with a grain of Nitrogen.

2. ~60 is pretty warm and could break dormancy. Just my thought tho'.

3. Generalities in horticulture suggest that while plant above grade growth is supressed, the root system of most plants does not actually "hibernate" rather, it does still grow and spread although in limited vigor. Some say that hop root need vernalization for the following flowering although I have not found facts either way to support or deny the claim.

I would at the least cover the pots if kept outdoor to mitigate frost. Your best bet would be to move them indoors to someplace dark.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll keep 'em covered outside until it gets really cold - whatever I think might be too cold - and then maybe bring them inside overnight. But like you pointed out, 60*F might be warm enough to spur on some growth. If that happens, would I just trim back any green growth that gets above the surface of the soil?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll keep 'em covered outside until it gets really cold - whatever I think might be too cold - and then maybe bring them inside overnight. But like you pointed out, 60*F might be warm enough to spur on some growth. If that happens, would I just trim back any green growth that gets above the surface of the soil?

Thanks again.

that would depend on how close you are to last frost for the area. If you start to see growth within a few weeks of last frost, I'd just let them grow and do what i can to protect them on a night that looks to have frost.

just a thought. if you have access to a small part of the earth, once they die back this fall you could lift them from the containers, dig a hole, bury them. then just dig them up and replant in the containers this spring. i replanted a few years ago in the fall and instead of getting rid of the old crown i buried it out back in the woods. when spring came, i dug it back up and made tons of cuttings for other folks in our club. i was amazed at the amount of feeder roots that formed over the winter. good luck!

Back