Using a deck as trellis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambriel

Reaction score
So I'm just toeing the waters with regards to home growing hops. I'm wondering if it's feasible to do without a trellis, however. I live in a suburban area where my neighbors would probably frown on a large trellis peeking up over my house (my back yard slopes fairly dramatically).

What I do have, however, is a freestanding deck out by the pool. Would it be possible to simply let the hops grow up along the deck, or would I run the risk of causing serious structural damage?

If that won't work, I'd be curious what my other options might be. I'm actually looking to set up a decent sized herb garden with a variety of different stuff, I just know virtually nothing about planting as of yet (tomorrow marks the 1 year anniversary of owning my first home, it's all new to me!).

how tall would they be able to grow? At least 12-14 feet?

Also, the only risk you have structurally is if the weight and stress when wet or int he wind is enough to impact the structure they are climbing. 4x4 posts are no problem, for instance. Cheap wood lattice is another thing altogether.

If you don't grow hops up your freestanding deck, I will come there, kill you, and grow hops up your freestanding deck.

I would even go so far as to attach poles to the railing for the hops to continue up.

Realistically, I would guess closer to 8-10 feet. It's a freestanding deck in my back yard next to the pool. There'd be space along the railings they could grow laterally though, if that makes a difference.

I don't have any real place in my yard to build a full-sized trellis, and I don't think my neighborhood bylaws would allow it anyway. Since I have this giant ass wooden deck that I want to soften up anyway, I thought hops vines might be viable. It's a very sturdy structure, so assuming the vines won't shatter the wood like ivy then I think it'd be safe enough.

I've also got to find some sorts of vines to grow along the chainlink fence as well. I hate the way that stuff looks.

edit: Haha, okay okay I'll find a way to grow hops. Don't kill me ;)

edit edit: Okay next question. How much light is required? The house would shade that area for part of the day, but it stays fairly sunny until evening when the sun falls behind the treeline.

Hops will grow around anything they can wrap around. When they reach the top they will grow laterally. They climb by wrapping around objects instead of tendrils. So they are not destructive like some vines.

Hops will grow around anything they can wrap around. When they reach the top they will grow laterally. They climb by wrapping around objects instead of tendrils. So they are not destructive like some vines.

That's because they aren't a "vine", they are a "bine". :D

I would even go so far as to attach poles to the railing for the hops to continue up.

THIS.

If you have 4x4 posts you can bolt something onto them up another 6-8 feet and then unbolt them.

Hops do not climb laterally very willingly and that usually requires training of the bines every couple of days.

Since you'd probably be using the pool frequently, remembering to re-train the hops should not be a problem.

I'd be out there quite frequently yes. What specifically does "training" mean though? I'm literally a total newb at this whole gardening prospect. I assume you mean nudging and tying them in the direction I want them to grow?

I'd be out there quite frequently yes. What specifically does "training" mean though? I'm literally a total newb at this whole gardening prospect. I assume you mean nudging and tying them in the direction I want them to grow?

Yeah. Pretty much just nudging them to the right spot so they wrap around whatever you want them to.

It involves lots of whips and chains and probably some sort of shock collar.....

It means moving the growing tip from the chair it is ensnaring, to the pole you want it to climb.

You then scream (preferably in german) STAY!!!!!!!!STAY!!!!!!!!!STAAAAAAAY!

you have to help the bines wrap around what you want them to. when growing vertically, once you get them started they usually do it themselves naturally. If you want them to go in a specific direction, especially horizontally, you have to help them along. They will keep trying to grow up towards the sky and not along whatever axis you're trying to get them to go.

I did have one other thought which may work. The top rail of my deck is within a foot or so of my roof line on the back of the house (like I said, I'm on a steep hill. The pool is actually dug into the hillside *above* my house). I could possibly string twine from the deck rail back to the roof and let them grow horizontally on that, if that's feasible. I'm trying to find a way to keep the plants from being visible from the road below. Since I'm on a hillside, that means keeping them no higher than my roof.

I did have one other thought which may work. The top rail of my dead is within a foot or so of my roof line on the back of the house (like I said, I'm on a steep hill. The pool is actually dug into the hillside *above* my house). I could possibly string twine from the deck rail back to the roof and let them grow horizontally on that, if that's feasible. I'm trying to find a way to keep the plants from being visible from the road below. Since I'm on a hillside, that means keeping them no higher than my roof.

Aside from the fact that you Rail your dead (very poor taste old man) that is freaking BRILLIANT!!!!!

You have to do that.

Snagged a 4 pack of rhizomes from that ebay seller today. I guess we'll see next week. It's late in the season to start this, should have done it a few weeks back, but what the hell.

Hope I bought the correct stuff. I just got 1 of 4 different varieties to plant in different spots.

Back