Road Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I need a vacation so I thought a road trip would be fun ...

Rent a car and drive it along this path then fly home once we hit Portland.

Any suggestions on what to check out along the following path would be much appreciated ...

Good pubs, eateries, historical landmarks, just anything of interest you can think of ...

map.gif

I'm not much for "the sights" myself, but
www.toronado.com in SF
The Stinking Rose at Fisherman's wharf (unless you hate garlic)
Bear Republic in Sonoma County (north of SF) has great food
http://www.avenueofthegiants.net/ Redwoods

You might consider Golden Valley Brewery in McMinneville, OR & get some of the IPA Brut. They also have great seafood. The owners are very proud of their grass/spent grain feed beef.

Are you planning on checking in during the trip?

Make certain your rental has chains, because I5 at the OR/CA border is starting to get some snow and you are required to have chains along.

Are you taking the Jeep and going top-down?

In Phoenix, I recommend http://www.fourpeaks.com/.

See what the Cali boys say but from PHX you might want to divert to the south to hit San Diego.

Looks like the 1st part of your drive is gonna suck. I have not alot good to say about El Paso. Don't mean to dismiss PHX or Tucson, but you might want to conside this route...
[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=austin,+tx&daddr=flagstaff,+az&ie=UTF8&z=6&ll=32.175612,-108.435059&spn=13.335132,15.864258&om=1[/ame]
That allows you to look up the Pastor.

PM me when you know your dates times and approximate landing spots and I can give you more details.

South of San Fran - Gilroy, CA - The Garlic Capitol of the World!!!!

In San Fran - Book a tour of the Anchor Steam Brewery (these sell out weeks, if not months, in advance) - it is amazing!

North of San Fran, Make sure you drive Route 1 through the Muir Woods.

But you've got then entire coast of Cali there - the possibilities are endless. I would also make sure I pass as many In N' Out Burgers as humanly possible.

South of Eugene in a town called Glide is a place called Colliding Rivers. The only place in the world two rivers meet head on. In the summer it causes what is known as the Bubble. You can enter the Bubble and breathe fresh air while under water. A strange feeling.

Near Ashland is the Oregon Vortex where compasses spin.

Near Lincoln City is the Dee River, the shortest in the world, 120 feet in length. Try swimming the entire length.

The Coast Hwy, 101 is subject to landslides during the winter, nice during the summer though. A major fault runs parallel to it sometimes on the uphill sometimes in the ocean. Lots of ongoing construction nearly all the time.

I think you will find a bigger selection and lower airfaires out of Seattle than Portland and try the Seattle brews.

If you wanted to hit So CA I'd agree that going through San Diego would be a bit nicer; but I-8 is about 50mi south of Phoenix. If you're going through LA just to go north (meaning you don't really care to go through So CA), I'd avoid it all together & keep going N thru AZ to I-40. That way you could hit Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon if so inclined and reconnect in Bakersfield later thru I-40. A thought; depends what you have and haven't seen in the past I guess (AZ or So CA) and how much time you got. Or ollllllo's route for NM. Probably roughly the same miles give or take a couple 100 whichever way you go.

As for So AZ thru I-10 you have Tombstone, Bisbee, Kartchner Caverns and other sites I can share thru Tucson later for ya.

desertBrew said:
If you wanted to hit So CA I'd agree that going through San Diego would be a bit nicer; but I-8 is about 50mi south of Phoenix. If you're going through LA just to go north (meaning you don't really care to go through So CA), I'd avoid it all together & keep going N thru AZ to I-40. That way you could hit Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon if so inclined and reconnect in Bakersfield later thru I-40. A thought; depends what you have and haven't seen in the past I guess (AZ or So CA) and how much time you got. Or ollllllo's route for NM. Probably roughly the same miles give or take a couple 100 whichever way you go.

As for So AZ thru I-10 you have Tombstone, Bisbee, Kartchner Caverns and other sites I can share thru Tucson later for ya.

That's a better version of what I was trying to get across.
2nd on Tombstone.

There's quite a few micro breweries north of San Francisco near or right off ot the 101. Bear Republic, Marin Co. Brewing, Moylan's, Lagunitas, North Coast...

And ditto on the In-N-Out Burger. Order a Double-Double "Animal Style" It's not on the menu, It's the regular Double-Double (double meat, double cheese) but with grilled onions with the cheese and it has pickles. That is unless you don't like onions, or pickles...:p

Also, looking at your map, if you are not in a hurry, don't take the I-5 up between LA and the Bay area. Just alot of farm country that makes for a long 6 hour drive. Drive along the coast on US101 and you'll hit all of the scenery. Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterey. It will take a little longer, but much more exciting. Just don't plan on leaving out of LA on the 101 north during rush hour. It will be hours just getting out of LA.

In Phoenix, also stop at Sonora Brewhouse (on Camelback) and have their Porter... Had it last Sat night and boy was it goooood :)

I think the more important question is; You're actually going to leave us beer swilling yahoos alone with the website?

When you get to Portland you'll need to check out the Japanese Gardens (near the zoo), the Chinese Water Gardens (in old town), the Horse Brass Tavern (downtown), and of course a few of the 37 breweries in the city. A good place to get all the local brews is the Horse Brass Tavern!

Have fun, sounds like a lot of great places to visit on your trip!

Back