Biscuit Malt in an APA/IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
Due to a last-minute recipe change, I find myself with a pound of biscuit malt. I've never used it before and I'm curious--I know it's an ingredient that is easy to misuse. Would it be appropriate/interesting/whatever to add it as a specialty grain to an extract pale ale/India pale ale?

Maybe; an APA sounds like it would mesh better than IPA. I would personally save it for a different brew but maybe 4 oz wouldn't hurt, might be nice with some earthy, spicy hops.

I used a 1/2 lb in my ESB with some earthy hops and it came out awesome but I did use MO as my base malt so that may have balance it a bit.

Let me ask a related question, then: if you were primarily an extract/extract with specialty grains brewer (I tried partial mash for the first time recently and it was a disaster), what would you do with an extra pound of biscuit malt?

I made an APA in which 1% of the grain bill was biscuit malt. Turned out amazing. Definitely not just because of the biscuit, but it was in there.

I've used biscuit/victory in ESBs, Belgians, and Porters; usually in the amount of 8 oz per 5 gallons. I've also made an American ESB (as opposed to APA) with some victory and toasted malt, and it came out fantastic. I mention victory because it's very similar to biscuit (for the most part).

I made an APA in which 1% of the grain bill was biscuit malt. Turned out amazing. Definitely not just because of the biscuit, but it was in there.

Exactly...I do this with my standard IIPA grain bill, maybe 1-2%. Just a great hint to the backbone of your beer that I like, hardly detectable and great for a slight boost in color

Let me ask a related question, then: if you were primarily an extract/extract with specialty grains brewer (I tried partial mash for the first time recently and it was a disaster), what would you do with an extra pound of biscuit malt?

i'd split it among a few beers. 1# biscuit is too much in anyone one beer IMO. a few oz in an APA or IPA works well, also goes well in anything english or belgian pales. wouldn't go over 5% in the grist

Yeah, like a few others on here, I'd consider making an "American" ESB type beer. Personally, I like ESBs a lot more than IPAs or even APAs. Love the flavor I get from biscuit malt.

I DO think that you've got enough for 2 brews, though :)

I'm a big fan of Biscuit or Aromatic in I/APA's. Like others have said a full pound is too much. A delicious Ithaca Flower Power clone has .15lb biscuit and 16lbs of 2-row (5 gallons)- it's .86% of the grain bill but is still noticeable. Kyle

I'm about to start a batch of 1-gallon brews using the same malt base but different hops. Maybe when I finish with that I should do a set with the same hops but a different malt base.

I'm a big fan of Biscuit or Aromatic in I/APA's. Like others have said a full pound is too much. A delicious Ithaca Flower Power clone has .15lb biscuit and 16lbs of 2-row (5 gallons)- it's .86% of the grain bill but is still noticeable. Kyle

Love the flower power. Any other malts in there?

Back