Portable Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is mine
The plate chiller and stainless pipe fittings are from DudaDiesel
Thermometer from Blichmann
The pump is a Chugger
Camlocks are from Bargain Fittings
The small valve with the blue handle has an aeration stone welded into a reducing bushing.

It cools wort from boiling to 70F with no pre-chill.

Using pure Oxygen to aerate.

If you plan on using it on the ground the pump really isn't even needed. There's enough siphon created when draining to pull the wort up and into your fermenter as long as it's on the ground also.

I'm sure the pump is necessary in other cases, but for me it's not even useful. I'm still glad I have though.

45862d1328053875-my-version-chill-wizard-inline-aeration-dsc01948.jpg

45863d1328053875-my-version-chill-wizard-inline-aeration-dsc01947.jpg

45864d1328053875-my-version-chill-wizard-inline-aeration-dsc01951.jpg

45865d1328053875-my-version-chill-wizard-inline-aeration-dsc01952.jpg

Where might one acquire a fantastic aeration stone welded to the reducer like that one? You've piqued my interest!

Where might one acquire a fantastic aeration stone welded to the reducer like that one? You've piqued my interest!

I welded it.

That's what I do.

What I haven't explained is that the reducing bushing is actually a 3/8" bushing welded to a 1/2" bushing with the barb end of the stone welded into the 1/2" threaded end of the bushing.
These are actually stainless hydraulic fittings.

I used surplus parts from work to make it work. Yeah yeah I know I "stole" but those fittings would have ended up in the garbage. The company I work for buys stuff and if they never end up using it never gets sent back and we rarely re-purpose material.

Being a fabricator and welder has made this hobby much more affordable.

It also helps when welding and fabricating for local breweries.

I really don't have a need to brew my own beer that often, or buy beer brewing equipment.

Just pitch like I'm sure most others do.

You've got me thinking now about utilizing the chilling device for inline pitching.
Thanks

Hi

Inline pitching is indeed what I was asking about. It would be an interesting thing to get going.

Bob

what would the benefit of inline pitching be?

Hi

1) It would be cool (already mentioned).

2) You might be able to set up a fully sealed / CIP system to do it with. That would eliminate one more way for bugs to get into the wort.

3) Once you have oxygen it the wort, you really want to have yeast as well.

Bob

It's pretty much complicating the uncomplicated if you ask me! A bit riskier too - introduces more chance for the yeast to be infected by something.

It's not critical to instantly pitch yeast once wort is aerated. I've often not been at pitching temps after chilling (I aerate inline as I transfer to the fermenter) and have to wait a few to several hours for my glycol chiller to bring down the temp to pitching temp. The yeast will convert the oxygen - it's bad for oxygen to be introduced *after* the yeast have settled out.

It's pretty much complicating the uncomplicated if you ask me! A bit riskier too - introduces more chance for the yeast to be infected by something.

It's not critical to instantly pitch yeast once wort is aerated. I've often not been at pitching temps after chilling (I aerate inline as I transfer to the fermenter) and have to wait a few to several hours for my glycol chiller to bring down the temp to pitching temp. The yeast will convert the oxygen - it's bad for oxygen to be introduced *after* the yeast have settled out.

Hi

I guess the infection issue is a "that depends" sort of thing. Done right, there would be less chance of infection. Getting the yeast in as soon as possible lets them get going and out compete some of the possible nasties that might be a problem.

Bob

Ok in an attemp to get this thread back on track and away from trying to over complicate pitching yeast. (sorry!). Here's my progress....just awaiting my order of stainless fittings to arrive from brew hardware.

image-1625801001.jpg

image-3041191828.jpg

image-1532952336.jpg

Hi

The gotcha is usually the clearance between the hose connections and the wort connections. Getting it so one of them works is not a big issue. Getting it so both of them are easy to work with is the tough(er) part.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program on better ways to pitch yeast :D:D:D:D:D

Bob

Back