Brett Brux @ 60°F.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Orval Clone is in secondary, and it's doing so on dregs from two bottles Orval and 1 vial Brett Brux (white labs).

I know it's a sluggish yeast, but do you think it'll make much difference if I make it a little warmer, or just wait?

I haven't checked gravity.

Just wait. Warming will make it speed up, of course, but it also tends to promote off-flavors

I'm planning one making a orval inspired brew soon hopefully isolating the primary strain on a streak plate. Anyhow from what I read between their website, other sites, and Brew like a Monk they bottle closer to 1.010 with the brett and let the fermentation finish in the bottle creating their 4-5 volumes of carbonation.

I'm planning one making a orval inspired brew soon hopefully isolating the primary strain on a streak plate. Anyhow from what I read between their website, other sites, and Brew like a Monk they bottle closer to 1.010 with the brett and let the fermentation finish in the bottle creating their 4-5 volumes of carbonation.

I am planning on around 4.25 volumes of carbonation, which is like 8oz corn sugar for ~5gallons according to beertools pro.

That's about a .5% alcohol boost. I think Orval is 6.9%, and my starting gravity was 1.050, so to at least match their ABV I'll need to get down to 1.004.

Hmm.. That's low and might not happen.

I'll give it a while.

It's been in there for a week, I haven't checked it. Since it's slow moving I figure I can check in a month, then in another month and once it's the same consecutive months I'm good to go.

My Orval Clone is in secondary, and it's doing so on dregs from two bottles Orval and 1 vial Brett Brux (white labs).

I know it's a sluggish yeast, but do you think it'll make much difference if I make it a little warmer, or just wait?

I haven't checked gravity.

I have something similar going right now, primary 1.058 wort with belgian sacc yeast bringing it to 1.014. Added brett b and oak in secondary to finish. First 10 days I held at 60 then bumped to 66 for the last 10 for ****s and giggles. I've been pushing 12 hour days so haven't had time to check, but will report in on gravity when I can so we can compare notes.

I have something similar going right now, primary 1.058 wort with belgian sacc yeast bringing it to 1.014. Added brett b and oak in secondary to finish. First 10 days I held at 60 then bumped to 66 for the last 10 for ****s and giggles. I've been pushing 12 hour days so haven't had time to check, but will report in on gravity when I can so we can compare notes.

Cool. I used Belgian Sacc too, it went from 1.050 to 1.012.

Latest posts

Back