My Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped04

I am Wally
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years back, I went to an auction of a company that had gone belly up. Apparently no one at the auction had the vision of Kegerator that I had at the time. I acquired the fridge for $50. The fridge still works, and now I’m finally ready for the conversion.

First I of course removed all of the shelves to see if my Hoff-Stevens keg would fit. The door just needed 2 inches more of clearance.

02-Wont_Close.jpg

All of the shelves are in recessed holes in the sidewalls of the fridge. In the middle of the fridge there was a spot for two options for the middle shelf. I flipped one shelf upside down and then I was able to coax the two shelves together.

09-Shelf2.jpg

08-Shelf1.jpg

At first I plan on leaving the CO2 tank inside the fridge until I get a hole drilled for the lines, so I’m not terribly concerned with the CO2 tank not fitting on the bottom shelf. I will be building a shelf in the fridge at some point, but my goal is to get this Kegerator up and running.

01-Fridge_Top.jpg

00-Fridge_Bottom.jpg

Once I removed the plastic from the door the seal came with it and now the Hoff-Stevens keg will fit with ease.

03-No_Inside_Door.jpg

There is a gap, but I plan on reattaching the seal without the plastic. I’m headed to the hardware store today to hopefully pick up a thin strip of aluminum to hold the seal.

05-Gap.jpg

04-Seal.jpg

I got 1 primary and a 4 regulator secondary regulator from Micromatic. The classic series was actually cheaper than the economy version. I don’t know why.

06-Regulators.jpg

Now this is where it gets weird. I’m thinking about drilling the lines through one of the recessed shelves. There is a shelf on the bottom of the fridge (who needs a shelf on the bottom of the fridge), so I’ll probably go through there. But I’m going to do the Vodka Cornstarch trick (thanks EvilTOJ) to make sure, but I don’t know if there are any in the sides.

On the back of the fridge there is a metal panel. There is a drain behind it.

07-Drain.jpg

Once I removed the panel, I find components.

10-Inside_Components1.jpg

11-Inside_Components2.jpg

I’m wondering if they still need coils around the outside of the fridge. It is weird, but who knows. I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

Latest posts

Back