help me make something.....from a bunch of random stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
I'm waiting on an order from AHS, but being its the holidays....it might be a while getting here.

I got a free'ed up carboy ready for a 4 gallon batch. And I also got some random stuff, maybe you guys can help me work up a makeshift batch for the time being.

I got:

1oz Mt. Hood
1oz NZ Goldings
1lb Munich
1lb German Pils
3lb Torrified Wheat
3lb White Wheat
3lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Liquid Wheat malt extract
10lb Dextrose

and some generic Coopers yeast. 2 packets of 33407W and 1 pack of 07108P.

Any ideas? Or should I just slam something together and see what happens?:mug:

what about something like this?? Maybe trying all-grain for the first time.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.6 SRM) Grain 42.86 %
2.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 35.71 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
0.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (1.2 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #33407 W) Yeast-Ale

You don't have enough of any base grain or extract to make four gallons of anything that resembles beer. Also, torrified wheat will not convert itself.

Torrified wheat is not malted, therefore it won't contribute any enzymes to the mash. Without enzymes (or without enough enzymes), the mash will not achieve the end goal of converting starches to sugars. Without sugar, the beer will not ferment.

To use torrified wheat, you must include a base grain like pale malt, pilsner, or even white wheat. To ensure conversion and avoid a stuck sparge, cereal adjuncts should probably not make up more than about 10% of the total grist. It is possible to successfully mash a grain bill with about 40-50% cereal adjuncts, but I don't recommend it, especially given the rest of your stated ingredients and your experience level.

Interesting. Thanks for the advice...... So everything but Pilsners and malts, should be under 50% of the total bill.

Well..... I jumped the gun and started this last night.

Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
2.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.6 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 18.75 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (1.2 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 12.50 %
1 Pkgs Cooper Ale (Coopers #33407 W) Yeast-Ale

I actually ended up with only 1.032..... so I added 1lb of dextrose and finally came out to 1.042

It smells really nice and sweet from the airlock, hopefully all will turnout good.

actually its 3 lbs, according to Yuri.......white wheat also converts.

Everything worked out ok, but as I said, I had to add 1 lb of dextrose to boost it up to 1042.

I predict that this will taste very similar to the "kit & kilo" extract kits that many people complain about being too thin and "twangy".

It will be an interesting experiment, though. Can't be any worse than a can of Crest!

FWIW - Ignoring that you've already brewed it up, I would've personally done this:

1# Munich
1# Pilsner
1# Wheat LME
Buy 3# XLight DME at a LHBS (Ya can't make beer without fermentables)
0.75 Mt Hood @ 60
0.25 Mt Hood @ 15

Comes out to 1.054 for 4 gallons at 7.7 SRM and 23 IBUs, a nice American Wheat.

Alternately it would've made 5 gals at 1.043 at 6.6 SRM with 20 IBUs, a very nice 4% session Wheat.

Well..... I jumped the gun and started this last night.

Ingredients:
------------
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
2.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.6 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 18.75 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (1.2 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.75 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 12.50 %

It smells really nice and sweet from the airlock, hopefully all will turnout good.

Have you ever boiled pasta then look at the water after you've strained the pasta out? starchy water? Well that's what you just made. I'm thinking at most, only half a pound of your flaked/torrified wheat converted, the rest of it just became starch in the water. So what you're really looking at was this:

.25 lb torrified wheat
.25 lb flaked wheat
.5 lb Pilsner
1.5 lb white wheat malt
1 lb munich
1 lb sugar

When all your starch bits settle (if they ever do) you'll be left with a hoochy, (from all the sugar, being a large percentage of the fermentables) watery mess. Should have listened to Yuri. IMHO.

Course, you might like it, afterall...craigtube.

Sorry - my math skills are showing - somehow I came up with 1.5+1.0+0.5=2!! Maybe I should be an economist :D

you'd probably be better than the guy running our country right now.:D

so anyways, I need to remember to have alot more Malts and pilsners next time huh? So Base grains, and red, white wheats all will convert. Anything with the word "malt" or "pilsner" after its name is what I need. Right?

Well, pilsner is usually called pilsner malt ;) And not everything with 'malt' in the name will be a base malt either - crystal malt for example. Base malts are going to be things like:

2-row
6-row
Pilsner
Pilsen
Pale Ale Malt
Marris Otter
Munich
Vienna

I'm sure there are others, but that's a lot of them.

I know it’s kind of late but it would have been a cool experiment to try adding beano to the mash to aid in conversion.

Back