Beer Scum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
Does this look normal?

showphoto.php

beer_scum - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

I opened up my brew today to take a gravity reading and this is what I found. It didn't have the brown and white scum on it a couple days ago when I popped it open. It is a wheat beer, and it's been in primary for a couple of weeks. I am ready to bottle, but I want to make sure this isn't some protoplasmic goo that will make me sprout a new arm first. (Yes, this is my first attempt at a homebrew, so if I'm fretting over nothing, feel free to tell me.)

Does this look normal?

showphoto.php

beer_scum - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

I opened up my brew today to take a gravity reading and this is what I found. It didn't have the brown and white scum on it a couple days ago when I popped it open. It is a wheat beer, and it's been in primary for a couple of weeks. I am ready to bottle, but I want to make sure this isn't some protoplasmic goo that will make me sprout a new arm first. (Yes, this is my first attempt at a homebrew, so if I'm fretting over nothing, feel free to tell me.)
Ya its pretty normal, specially for a wheat. There just clumps of yeast.

trust me- when you finally get a glass carboy or better bottle and you see all the gunk floating around and the proteins and krausen floaters your going to have a whole different view of beer. In a sense your creating your own little ecosystem and its gonna look foul.

Thanks guys... I figured I was looking at something normal, I just wanted to make sure. Team HBT does it again, saved another good ale!

Latest posts

Back