Kegged Beer / Change in taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I have noticed with my kegged homebrew that the first 15 beers I pour are generally ok, some cloudiness. The next 30 or so beers start tasting better, clarity is much improved. Then the final 1o beers are much more flavorful, sometimes more than enough. Has anyone else noticed this? What causes it?

Well cloudiness is due to the settling of the beer. Stuff drops down. I feel like the best beers come from the end as well but I think part of that might be in our heads. Depending how long you let the keg sit you may also be just benefiting from giving the beer more time to mature.

1) You are probably serving too quickly. Let the keg sit for 10-14 days at serving temps and it will move past the chill haze stage and pull most heavy proteins out of suspension. The first 16-20 oz will be trub, but the rest of the keg will be as clear as it is going to get.

2) It definitely sounds like you are rushing the beers a bit. I give most ales 2-3 weeks in primary, followed by 2-3 weeks in the kegerator at serving temps to slowly carb and clear, then start serving. Exceptions would be wheat-based beers that are generally better young or higher ABV beers that need longer conditioning periods. I even get my best beers when I give even average ABV/OG beers 3-4 months to age before serving, generally when I have a nice pipeline of beers going on.

A little patience to allow the beers to clear and mature will go a long way in all of the ones you drink being clear and at peak tastiness!

Ya patience and a pipeline is goin to help you here. My pipeline is severally compromised right now so I have been pouring them as soon as they are carbed. The golden ale I'm drinking now has only been in the keezer for two weeks, and it's 2/3rds gone. I realize it would be better to wait, but it's the only one I got on tap right now!

Back