Belma Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
I saw a thread recently about hopsdirect's new belma hops. For five bucks a lb I couldn't resist and jumped on the bandwagon. Anybody drinking on a batch brewed with these yet? I won't be brewing for another week or two and was wondering what to expect.

This doesn't ease your curiosity today, but I will be brewing a batch this coming Saturday w/ Belma. I'm sure others will have reviews before me, but mine will be posted in due time.

I saw a thread recently about hopsdirect's new belma hops. For five bucks a lb I couldn't resist and jumped on the bandwagon. Anybody drinking on a batch brewed with these yet? I won't be brewing for another week or two and was wondering what to expect.

Just ordered 2 lbs, thanks for the heads-up

High alpha, citrus hop for $5 a pound? Sounds really good, but I'm not in the market for another bulk hop order now since I still have citra, columbus, chinook, amarillo, falconer's flight, and misc homegrown in the freezer. Keep us posted with results.

Come to think about it, I have a pale ale that's almost ready to keg up. I used centennial and cascade. I think I'll go ahead and dry hop with some belma so I can get a quick taste test.

This doesn't ease your curiosity today, but I will be brewing a batch this coming Saturday w/ Belma. I'm sure others will have reviews before me, but mine will be posted in due time.

I am going to brew a Gambrinus Pale/Belma SMaSH this Saturday as well. Will report with results.

LOL...googled the Belma to see what it might be good for. Guess we're all brewing it today!

I'm going to do a simple pale with it, 2-row and a little 40L Crystal. We should all post up on this thread with our experiences! I'm kind of excited about this hop. If it's great, well I have 2 LBs of it! If it's not? Well I'm out 10 bucks. Really it's a can't lose..because I know it'll be beer at least!

LOL...googled the Belma to see what it might be good for. Guess we're all brewing it today!

I'm going to do a simple pale with it, 2-row and a little 40L Crystal. We should all post up on this thread with our experiences! I'm kind of excited about this hop. If it's great, well I have 2 LBs of it! If it's not? Well I'm out 10 bucks. Really it's a can't lose..because I know it'll be beer at least!

Mashing mine right now...added a touch of carapils and C-20 I had laying around. Doing a mini batch of 3 gallons:
5 lbs Pale
2 oz carpils
2 oz c-20
.25 oz Belma at 60
.35 oz Belma at 15
.5 oz Belma at 0

1.050/ 35 IBU/ SRM 5
US-O5 yeast

Hope you are getting some J-bay-like surf around SB;)

Cheers,Tim

My Belma Pale Ale is fermenting away. I'll have it kegged in 2 weeks or so. Dry hopping with 3oz - I wanna see what this hop is all about.

I brewed 10 gallons Sunday. I had some Calypso I needed to use up so this is what I came up with.

20 lbs 2 row
60 min 1 oz calypso
30 min 1 oz Belma
10 min 2.5 oz Belma

OG 1.060

Not sure how much I will dry hop with, I am going to taste if first.

I agree with the earthy citrus, but after handling some and smelling my hands I was getting a slightly piney floral aroma. Really liked it. I had an IPA waiting to dry hop, so I hit it with 1.75 for three days, then replaced that bag with 1oz for another. Gonna blast it with another oz on Wednesday for three days then keg it up.
Bittering was Magnum at 60 and 30 and cascade at 30 and 10.

I'm planning a hoppy wheat with Belma in the next month or so.

5lb 2-row
4.5 wheat
.5 cara wheat

.3oz belma FWH
.5oz belma @ 20
.5oz belma @ 10
1.5oz belma @ 0
2.5oz belma dry

I'm planning a hoppy wheat with Belma in the next month or so.

5lb 2-row
4.5 wheat
.5 cara wheat

.3oz belma FWH
.5oz belma @ 20
.5oz belma @ 10
1.5oz belma @ 0
2.5oz belma dry

oh man - that sounds GREAT! I want to do a bottle swap with you on that :)

what kind of yeast will you be using?

I'm brewing a dry, pale IIPA with Warrior, Citra, and Belma. Cali Ale yeast starter. American and English 2-row combo, Corn Sugar, Red Wheat, and a dash of Caramel-Pilsen 10L.

Timely thread, I couldn't resist ordering 2lbs of Belmas and a lb of Legacy, got them yesterday. I may do a 40 minute boil of a Pale Ale with Magnums for bittering, then split the batch into a second kettle and add Belma's for flavor, aroma in one, Legacy's to the other for the last 20 minutes of the boil...and dry hop both with their respective hops.

Once I get a feel for them, I have an "ABC" double IPA in mind. Amarillo, Belma and Cascade (or Citra).

Day 6 gravity check and tasting of Belma Pale Ale. Gravity at 1.011 (OG 1.052 35 IBU), so that is done.
Now for the aroma: Mild, somewhat citrusy, can't quite find the right words, but somewhat orange citrusy and noble-like. Reminds me a bit of crystal hops. Nice. Not very pungent compared to most NW hops.

Taste: The bitterness is nice, firm. The taste is also nice, but subtle...I guess mildly spicy/ fruity? Adding 1 oz dry hops tonight- so will try to get a good take on the aroma next week.
Current Overall Impression at this very early tasting is that its a decent hop. My gut is that it will blend nicely with more aggressive NW hops. I could see using this in an IPA or APA in a supporting role.

Will update as more information comes availible;)

I had an IPA that was done fermenting when my Belma came in so it was easy for me to use them as dry hops.
My hop schedule was:
1oz Magnum 60min
1oz Magnum 30min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade 1 min

I typically dry hop my IPA with 1oz Cascade. Since I wanted as much Belma as possible, I dry hopped for 3 days with 1.75oz, then replaced that with 1oz for 3 days, then replaced that with 1oz for the last 3 days.

When I was moving it to the keg I was disappointed by the lack for aroma. I was expecting it to knock me over as soon as I opened the fermenter. I instead got a soft aroma, very pleasant. After carbing, I poured 1 draft last night. I poured into a wine globe and the hops blast I was hoping for was definitely there. Since I've only had the one pour, I can't give an extensive review.
The pineapple aroma that most people have been picking up comes through beautifully on the nose. I got floral notes as well. The palate was very soft, the citrus comes through nicely. Not as bold as the citrus notes in Citra, but I think that is where this hops will shine. It is a very flavorful taste, without being overbearing.

I read some notes people had said about it being a weak hops. I can understand why they would feel that, but I wouldn't describe it as weak, merely soft. It isn't lacking in flavor, so much as it presents it softly instead of smacking you in the face with it.

Will it replace Citra? No. However, I feel it will compliment it nicely, and offer an alternative, especially when the brewer is looking for a more sessionable IPA.

I am going to brew a single hops APA to further acquaint myself with it, but I can tell you already that this is a hops I will definitely keep in rotation.

Brewed up a massive APA/IPA (it teeters on the edge of IBUs, but ABV is only 5.9%) a week ago. Here is the hop schedule (10 gallon batch)

2 oz Belma mash hop
2 oz Cascade mash hop
1 oz Belma FWH
1 oz Cascade FWH
1.5 oz Belma 15min
1.5 oz Citra 15min
1.5 oz Cascade 15min
1.5 oz Belma 5min
1.5 oz Citra 5min
1.5oz Cascade 5min
2 oz Belma FO (hop stand @ 150F)
2 oz Citra FO (hop stand @ 150F)
1 oz Cascade FO (hop stand @ 150F)
2 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Sterling dry hop
2 oz Belma dry hop

When I opened up the fermenters to dry hop on Saturday it smelled pretty good, but the first round of dry hopping is in now, second round goes in on Saturday. Will be bottled in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

HawksBrewer said:
Brewed up a massive APA/IPA (it teeters on the edge of IBUs, but ABV is only 5.9%) a week ago. Here is the hop schedule (10 gallon batch)

2 oz Belma mash hop
2 oz Cascade mash hop
1 oz Belma FWH
1 oz Cascade FWH
1.5 oz Belma 15min
1.5 oz Citra 15min
1.5 oz Cascade 15min
1.5 oz Belma 5min
1.5 oz Citra 5min
1.5oz Cascade 5min
2 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Sterling dry hop
2 oz Belma dry hop

When I opened up the fermenters to dry hop on Saturday it smelled pretty good, but the first round of dry hopping is in now, second round goes in on Saturday. Will be bottled in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

Good Lord. I think you should send me a bottle of that!

I also saw the earlier posts, and ordered a couple pounds. Like everyone else, I also brewed with it this weekend - a SMaSH IPA; Golden Promise malt, Belma hops, WLP001 yeast. 2 oz Belma for 60 minutes, 1 oz at 20 minutes and at 0 minutes. Went into the carboy last night...and plan on dry hopping with an oz or two in the secondary... We'll see how it turns out. Using the same recipe as a GP/Cascade SMaSH that is tap currently (its quite nice, if I do say so myself...) so will have something to compare to...

2 oz Belma mash hop
2 oz Cascade mash hop
1 oz Belma FWH
1 oz Cascade FWH
1.5 oz Belma 15min
1.5 oz Citra 15min
1.5 oz Cascade 15min
1.5 oz Belma 5min
1.5 oz Citra 5min
1.5oz Cascade 5min
2 oz Citra dry hop
2 oz Sterling dry hop
2 oz Belma dry hop

26oz. of hops for a 10g batch?? Really? Curious to see how this turns out. You might also try simply eating the hops...

26oz. of hops for a 10g batch?? Really? Curious to see how this turns out. You might also try simply eating the hops...

That's about 4lbs/bbl. That's not unheard of for an IPA. Union Jack is around 4lbs/bbl

Union Jack is tasty stuff. I think the flavor much better than Double Jack. I believe it when you say they use that much hops; the flavor and aroma is tops on that beer.

Im glad you posted that, Scott! Every so often when I'm building an IPA recipe, my eyes will bug out when I read the total amount of hops. That's why I buy my hops in bulk though; I know how much I enjoy the finished product.

o/t: took my new hop back for a spin last night. 3.5oz rinsed with hot wort heading straight into the CFC. Hopefully it locked in some good flavor and aroma.

o/t: took my new hop back for a spin last night. 3.5oz rinsed with hot wort heading straight into the CFC. Hopefully it locked in some good flavor and aroma.

OT or not, report back here on your results. I've been curious as to how effective those are!

OT or not, report back here on your results. I've been curious as to how effective those are!

I tasted my SG sample and it was noticeably hoppy. Lots of fresh hop flavor in the sweet wort - almost like chewing on a hop. Not your typical late addition flavor.

As to how much of that will be retained after fermentation... I'll have to wait and see.

I got sidetracked and didn't end up dry hopping like I planned. I'll be brewing Sunday though. I'm going to do three plaes. One all cascade, one all belma, and one centennial, cascade and belma. From what I've read so far, it should turn out to be a pretty good hop.

Back