what do you think about these carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I picked up 4 of these;

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...SPlastic&category_name=15037&product_id=15040

carboys for free today and am trying to think of how i can use them as beer fermentors.

Is polypropalene ok to brew beer in??

It has a screw top. Should I drill a hole in the screw top and then fit a blow off tube into the hole,silicon seal it and be good to go?

Should I buy a #13 1/2 stopper and drill a hole in if for a airlock?

Should I use it as a primarly or secondary? I have only one glass 6.5 carboy of my own other then these.

I really appreciate any words of advice from those out there in the know.

Which size did you get? I am thinking 13 gallons of brew at a time would rock!!:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

If they're good to go for fermenting.

I have the smallest one, got it for free from where i work b/c someone order an extra one by accident...never really thought to brew in it....but it could be cool for a small 2 gallon "test batch."
it says it meets FDA standards...but what does that mean in terms of brewing....probably nothing. it will go great with the 4 new Better Bottles that will be arriving in my hands the end of this month.

From what I understand polypropylene is not very good for keeping oxygen out.

Since its free, you might try it out, see what happens. If your beer tastes like cardboard you know not to use it for this.

If that's the case you have a good container for mixing/storing cleaners or sanitizers.

My guess for short term use its ok. I would not use it for long term ferments like lagers, wines or meads.

If you really want to go plastic, PET is the best route. Look at the soda bottles or the plastic beer bottles. They are all PET. You can ID the PET with a triangle shaped recycle symbol with a 1 in the center. You can also find a PET or PETE marking nearby. I have 4 PET 3 gal water bottles that make for excellent mini fermentors ($4.99 each w/ water). Its just a matter of time before we start seeing these in 5 gal sizes.

I would also cart your bottle into the LHBS and try fitting it with a carboy cap before using a plug.

Good Luck :mug:

Back