Texas State Fair - fried beer, etc. - a first-hand report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the fair today - great fun! The only downers were the raised prices on almost everything - parking now $15, beer 9 coupons ($4.50) most places, and the biggest disappointment was the fried beer. What a rip-off! $5 for 5 little ravioli things with just a little squirt of beer in them (well, they said it was beer, but I couldn't taste anything that reminded me of beer). Basically tasted just like salty undercooked dough with Cheese-Whiz on top. You can safely pass this one by.

On the up side, the auto show was huge, the Marine Corps band was great, as always - I especially like the flag lowering ceremony at 5:00 PM (don't stand too close to the cannon - that thing is LOUD), the IMAX show on prehistoric sea monsters, while not the best one I've seen was still pretty cool, and the Killdares Celtic Rock band gave a great performance as they do every year. The butter sculpture was amazing, but I've seen better ones in the past. Corny dogs for lunch and German food for dinner at the Hans Mueller tent while we watched the end of day parade. The closing fireworks show was about the same as the last few years, IMO not as good as they used to do, but still worth watching. Pretty much avoided the midway and the animal shows this year (been there, done that). One tip - the beer inside the Food Building is the cheapest - unfortunately only BMC and Shiner Bock on tap, but a cup of Shiner is "only" 7 coupons ($3.50) vs typically 9 coupons outside.

Thats too bad I was looking forward to trying the fried beer but with a bad review and a $5 price I can't bring myself to do it now.
How were the crowds? I am debating on if I should take a day off work when my wife, who works for a school, gets the day off to go (and free tickets) or if I should just wait for a Saturday or Sunday (still with free tickets).

I thought the deep fried beer would be bad, I saw the making of it and what he called "trade secrets" came across as "Gross stuff I can't tell you about.".

Thanks for letting us know!

How were the crowds? I am debating on if I should take a day off work when my wife, who works for a school, gets the day off to go (and free tickets) or if I should just wait for a Saturday or Sunday (still with free tickets).

Crowds weren't bad at all, but that's why my friends and I always go on a weekday (that plus the fact that Thursday is Senior Citizens day so everyone over 60 gets in free). I haven't been on a weekend in many years so I don't know how bad the crowds are - I'd stay away this weekend, though - Texas/OU football game, so it's bound to be crowded.

Back