Auto-Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Just got my auto-siphon by Fermtech Ltd from Northern Brewer. At the top, on the plastic part that you pull up, at the 90 degree angle at the very top, is the hose supposed to be flattened a little bit? Right at the bend, the bend is flattened out which looks like it may not suppose to be like that. It looks like it would hurt the flow a little bit since the tube has been made smaller. Is this normal?

I'm 99% sure mine is like that as well (at work). if I push the hose towards that area I sometimes will get some air bubbles. I usually hack off 1-2" of the hose every once in a while as it gets a bit loose allowing evil bubbles of air to come in.

todd_k said:
Just got my auto-siphon by Fermtech Ltd from Northern Brewer. At the top, on the plastic part that you pull up, at the 90 degree angle at the very top, is the hose supposed to be flattened a little bit? Right at the bend, the bend is flattened out which looks like it may not suppose to be like that. It looks like it would hurt the flow a little bit since the tube has been made smaller. Is this normal?

Are you talking about the actual bend in the tube??

If so, mine is like that to some degree-- it works fine. Of course, the degree of "flattening" on mine is mild. I could see how a good degree of stricture would screw up your flow and your siphon.

Yes, the actual bend isn't allowing full flow through it, it's slightly bent. It's not drastic, just enough to look it to could cause a slight bottleneck.

One trick I've learned with these is if you have air bubbles right where the tube and hose meet, you can squeeze the hose with your fingers for a second to restrict the flow which moves the bubbles down the hose a little, let go and the force will carry the bubbles out of the hose. Just repeat until all bubbles have been removed...

John Beere said:
One trick I've learned with these is if you have air bubbles right where the tube and hose meet, you can squeeze the hose with your fingers for a second to restrict the flow which moves the bubbles down the hose a little, let go and the force will carry the bubbles out of the hose. Just repeat until all bubbles have been removed...
I just re-pump it and it fills up...;) (I know, it sounds dirty...)

Back