Storing Crushed Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeTheHopDog

Reaction score
I had planned on brewing this weekend, but now it won’t be for 2 weeks, if I can squeeze it in. My grain is crushed and just sitting on the dining room table. Should I put it in the fridge or is it OK at room temp? Thanks.

Keep it as airtight as possible, and in a cool place. Fridge is better, but not critical. You will be ok for a couple of weeks, no problem.

Cool (No pun inteneded), Thanks, I think I'll put them in the fridge, and take them out a day before I brew, to warm them up to room temp before I mash them.

At first I thought you subject said SORTING crushed grains. I thought... that's going to be a hell of a job...

+1 on airtight and cold. You'll also want to keep them away from light. If I have to delay a brewday and my grains are crushed, I'll put them in a ziplock, get as much air as possible out as I can and then wrap the package in tinfoil. Then that goes in the fridge or freezer.

BTW, if you have a foodsaver or similar, use that, and vacuum pack those suckers. They are very useful in homebrewing (Especially storing hops), and it's always easy to persuade the missus that she needs one for "Culinary purposes". ;)

At first I thought you subject said SORTING crushed grains. I thought... that's going to be a hell of a job...QUOTE]
That's one of the funniest things I've read on here. I've often ordered a bunch of grain and then thought to myself "they better not put that all together".

When I order crushed grain (no BC yet), it sometimes sits for a month or 2, and seems to turn out fine. If I order, say, 20 or 30 lbs of something, I'll take out what I'm using, cut down the bag, then squeeze all the air out and tie the bag closed. I don't know if it helps, but when I get a grain delivery, I put it all on the counter and stand over it and stare at it for 10 to 15 minutes, which usually causes excess blood flow to my britches. Then I put it all in the closet and obsess over how to use it all.

This is one of my biggest complaints about going all grain. I have been trying to get in a 10 gal brew of a Bavarian Hefe. Grain has been sitting for three weeks... This comes up, that comes up and there goes the brewday...
At least with extract, I would start them at 9pm when my kids were sleeping, and finish by midnight.
Can't do that with All Grain.

yes ya can. Ya mash at 9 pm when the kids are sleeping and you boil the next morning while they're still sleeping. That's what I do. Since I've been doing it that way, I brew twice as often and my wife doesn't complain about me brewing beer all day.

yes ya can. Ya mash at 9 pm when the kids are sleeping and you boil the next morning while they're still sleeping. That's what I do. Since I've been doing it that way, I brew twice as often and my wife doesn't complain about me brewing beer all day.

How do you store the run-off? Do you put the whole lot in the fridge overnight, or just let it sit covered? I've been wondering about splitting up my brewing time so it won't take all day long too.

I get everything into my BK covered and leave it on the counter. I leave the lid cracked because of all the worry of DMS, but I don't even know if it's a concern pre boil. Maybe one of the more experienced HBTers could chime in on that one. The next day is basically half a brew day. Works out great that way

You don't need to worry about DMS pre-boil. The boil drives off any DMS precursor compounds. I'd leave it totally covered all night, just because I'm paranoid about getting some sort of funk in there. Then again, 12 hours isn't really enough to worry about getting any sort of souring going on, so maybe it's not such a big deal. But yeah, no worries about DMS until AFTER you boil. Hot-side aeration post-boil (since you won't be boiling anymore to drive them off) is the biggest thing for making DMS.

BTW, if you have a foodsaver or similar, use that, and vacuum pack those suckers. They are very useful in homebrewing (Especially storing hops), and it's always easy to persuade the missus that she needs one for "Culinary purposes". ;)

So Gnome, by "Culinary purposes", you mean, like, cooking?
ROFLaughing.gif

Thanks all. Managed to get it brewed on May 2nd and it went very well (1st All Grain). :mug:

Nice work on a first all-grain batch!

Just another question to clarify things. Would storing vacuum sealed crushed grains in the freezer keep for 3 months? I would guess yes, but I'm wondering what other opinions people might have.

What about crushed grains that come from the warehouse you ordered from? How long are they good for? (like when you order from brewmaster, AHS, NB, etc)

Back