So my cider Had a mold...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eluna

Reaction score
well my cider definitely had a mold but then my yeast started kicking ass and taking names so whats up i have never had this happen will my cider have a somewhat indescribable taste or did my tactical yeast army eat them and im in the clear

If it does have a funky taste should i leave in the primary a week longer than i was planning i was planning on bottling in 4 weeks should i go 5 for Cleaning purposes?

And this was most definitely mold not just yeast spots big ugly white big blackish greenish spots i was actually thinking on dumping it but i remembered the brewers creed "If it taste bad give it a week or two if it taste like **** give it as long as it needs. my creedo at least but yeah i think this is gonna be my best cider yet the funkier the better:rockin:

How long was it in the primary before the yeast started working? What was the room temp? How long did you have the cider at room temp before you started fermenting?

did you take pictures?

How long was it in the primary before the yeast started working? What was the room temp? How long did you have the cider at room temp before you started fermenting?

did you take pictures?

well i was a bit impatient and i dumped the yeast in when the juice was cold from the Grocery store so it took like 18 hours for first sign of yeast fermentation

The room temperature was at 66F the whole time still is

didnt have cider at room temperature when i pitched the yeast

no i didn't take photos of the mold but it just looks like a normal fermentation now i don't see any mold at all so yeah just found it a bit weird that there was mold and now there isnt and it was definitely mold

did you take pictures?

VID00863.jpg

VID00862.jpg

these pictures were after the mold suddenly dissappered

It looks ok. Let it go and see how it tastes. You might have a great tasting cider with a splash of penicillin for good measure. If it tastes funky then dump.
keep us posted on how your cider developes. I would like to know how it tastes.

It looks ok. Let it go and see how it tastes. You might have a great tasting cider with a splash of penicillin for good measure. If it tastes funky then dump.

yeah i will do a full video review. I am kind of starting a hobby on top of a home-brew lifestyle of making home brew reviews but thanks for the Info:D

keep us posted on how your cider developed. I would like to know how it tastes.
well i Bottled and primed 10bottles of cider so i cant wait for some sparkling hard cider but i got antsy filled up a small bottle for my self and it tasted great it is a little sour but im learning to enjoy the sourness next time though i will use a Ale yeast instead of a wine yeast so i wont have to back sweeten it.

I am very surprised that it didn't have any Funkiness at all so lesson learned if you see mold develop and disappear its probably going to be perfectly fine

I don't know if you need to dump a funky ciders. A lot of French and english style ciders have wild yeasties in them and (to some) taste great. He could be seeing some sort of wild bugs that the people in the wild brew forums see...

I also recently finished a low alcohol cider that was oaked in primary and secondary, fermented with nottingham and lacto...tastes nice, tart and oaky...like an oaked berliner weisse with a touch more kick.

Back