Cidery taste in kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
Ok i made a muntons no boil beer for kicks, i let it ferment for a little over a week, the directions said a week. og was 1.038 and fg was 1.008. i kegged the beer and it carbed up nicely, but it has a very cidery taste. Im thinking its green.
!. is the cidery taste cause its green?
2. can i take the keg out of the fridge and let it condition at basement temps? around 61 deg. holding the pressure?
3. will the cidery taste go away?

thanks for the help

1 week & then kegged? For how many days (weeks) has it been in the keg ?

1. Yes - it's green

2. Yes- let it condition.

3. Yes - the taste will diminish & the beer will likely mellow in time.

so, i can pull the keg, leave the pressure in it at basement temps and it will condition with no problems?
my main concern is leaving the pressure in the keg.
thx

while i didnt keg, my first batch was a muntons larger and it also turned out with a realy apple/cider taiste. its been conditioning for almost 3 weeks now and while it is getting clearer and crisp(ier?) the cider taiste is not deminishing all that quickly. im told this is purely caused by the fermenting temps of about 80 degrees where i live. so ive tried one more lager, this time wrapping in wet towles and ice, and if the problem still occurs i think i might just stick to ales as they have a higher recomended temp.(at least until winter)

actually, i added 2 packets of this mr beer booster i had left from when i first started brewing,
Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

then i made up the difference with pure corn sugar to meet the recipe's 2 pound requirement.

actually, i added 2 packets of this mr beer booster i had left from when i first started brewing,
Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

then i made up the difference with pure corn sugar to meet the recipe's 2 pound requirement.

Access corn sugar = cidery taste in finish brew.

Back