Atlanta gets brewing kit from Santa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gawine

Reaction score
Hey folks, just got my brew kit over the holidays, will get cracking in a few weeks. actually have some wine going now, but plan to do some beer next! it seems like brewing beer is a little tougher than wine, thoughts? i saw some discussions that even mentioned there was no need for a carboy to be used and to skip secondary ferment.

also, are any brews easier to do for a rookie like me? i'm interested in doing a IPA or something along those lines. pale ale or porter/stout is okay too.

thanks!

The big difference is the boil and hop additions.

Some people use carboys, some use pails.

Extract beers are simple. If you start with a lower gravity Pale, it will be ready sooner.

i've been brewing extract for almost a year, and now am going all grain, just got my first carboys. So yes, you can make good beer with out them, but yes, you can make good beer with them too. I've personally only done secondary fermentations for flavor/fruit/etc additions.

Where are you in Atlanta?

Welcome to the addiction... er obsession... er hobby....

I would recommend a nice easy ale for you first batches... IPA, Pales, ambers, etc... You don't need anything spectacular... My initial kit was two buckets and an amber kit... Secondary fermentation is nice for clearing beer, but not necessary...

Check out Insert Name Here Brew Club if you are interested in meeting up with some local homebrewers in the area...

:mug:

I'm in Duluth, GA. Took a trip to Beer Necessities/Brew Depot in Alpharetta last week for my first wine kit and plan to go back this week or next for the beer kit. They seemed to be pretty good and knowledgeable. I'll borrow a buddy's kettle for the boiling part and then buy my own once I get under way.

I'm from Duluth as well just waiting for the bits and pieces to fall into place and get my startup kit and get rolling.

Back