Chocolate Rye Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
At last the Great Taste of the Midwest beer fest I was so very much looking forward to a chocolate rye porter that was on tap at one of the breweries. This turned out to be a very thin, flavorless beer. Very disapointing. So I decided I should make my own, but I'm not too sure where I want the chocolate flavor to come from. I'm thinking some cocoa powder or bakers chocolate toward the end of the boil, maybe 10 min, but this is where I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want a strong flavor, just a bit of a chocolaty back note.

Here's where I'm at, but am very open to suggestions and comments:

75% US 2-row
8% Crystal 40
8% Chocolate Rye
7% Flaked Rye
2% Carafa II

Aiming for 1.055-1.060, and about 40 IBU from EKG/Fuggles @ 60 and flameout.

I'm kinda wondering if the flaked rye won't offer too much of a strong, sharp flavor. Maybe using malted rye in its place (or, at least for some of it) would give it a richer flavor.

Maybe drop the flaked to 3% and sub 4% with malted? Basically I'm using flaked for body and head. I might drop the chocolate to 4% and sub some of that with malted.

Here's what I've got. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

8.62 lb Pale Malt (73%)
1.06 lb Rye Malt (9%)
0.81 lb Crystal 40 (6.8%)
0.56 lb Chocolate Rye (4.75%)
0.5 lb Flaked Rye (4.25%)
0.25 lb Carafa II (2.2%)

29 IBU of EKG @ 60
4 IBU Fuggles @ 10

4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate @ 15 min (I've used this is chocolate stout and it came out great)

wyeast 1098 British Ale Yeast

OG 1.055
FG 1.014
IBU 33
SRM 22 (Med/dark brown)

Yeah, I was a little worried about your % of chocolate rye - it's listed as max 5%.

How did it turn out? I have a recipe for a chocolate rye brown ale that I accidentally ordered 7.4% chocolate rye. I'm worried that it'll be too much.

Latest posts

Back