Wanted: Samuel Smith Nut Brown Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing this for my next batch and was wondering if anyone had a good AG clone I could go by. I have the following recipe below but I have never converted an extract into AG recipe and fear that something will get lost in translation. :( The recipe below was from beer captured.... maybe they have an AG version as well? Thanks all!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/el-p-samuel-smith-nut-brown-ale-4459/

Also.... Does anyone know which water profile I would want to emulate to best produce this. Thanks.

Bump..... Does anyone have a recipe to go by for cloning this. The link above dose not specify hop boil times.

Ok, I give in, too much bumping. I'm on vacation right now, but I'll open up my flash drive to look at the recipe I used. I recenty did a AG take on SS Nut Brown ale, and this is what I did:

75% eff. AG. 5.5 gallons. Mash@156 for 60 mins, 60 min boil.

Mr. Brown
7# Marris Otter
.5# Brown Malt
.5# British Crystal 55L
.25# British Crystal 135L
.25# UK Chocolate malt
.25# Flaked oats (toasted)

.5oz EKGs@FWH
.5oz Fuggles@FWH
1oz EKGs@60

WLP026 Premium Bitter Yeast, although WLP005 or any other english strain would be awesome in it as well.

This is pieced together from a few different clones posted on various sites, I took a few liberties, if you wanted it to be thinner like the original is, cut out the Flaked Oats and 135L, and up the base malt by .5#. The hopping is a bit different too, but I tailored this one to be exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but how did this turn out Scut? What recipe did you use?

I brewed up a clone from another forum, though it is pretty similar to Freezeblade's minus his liberties. I went with:

77% Halcyon Pale Malt (or Maris Otter)
11% Crisp amber malt
11% Simpson crystal 55L
1% Simpson chocolate malt

Percentages might be different for your system, as I usually adjust the amount of base malt for changes in my system's efficiency. For this brew, it's 78%.

Mash 154F for 60 minutes, boil 60-90 minutes.

Bitter to 28-31 IBUs with Fuggles (I used Willamette) and use about 40% of your bittering hops in EKG at 15 minutes. I used WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale yeast, supposedly sourced from Samuel Smith. I suppose the yeast would be a key ingredient but I have not brewed it with other strains.

To me, the color, hops and flavor profile were spot on. Missing a bit of mouthfeel and "malt" aroma from the commercial. I'm not quite sure what that missing aroma factor is or if I'm being confused with oxidation or something else in the imported version.

For anyone interested in this beer, mine was awarded 2nd place in its category at the Wisconsin State Fair this year. According to the judges, the beer had a bit more caramel than nutty character. If I wanted this, I could easily swap out some crystal for more chocolate, which makes it very close to Freezeblade's recipe above (minus the oats and dark crystal). I'm still not convinced that 0.5lb brown/amber malt + 0.25lb chocolate gives a "nutty" flavor. Perhaps the color tells our eyes that it is/should be?

I did a Sam Smith Nut Brown clone from the pages of Beer Captured. Unfortunately, I discovered it is a tough on to duplicate. The Malt bill lacked serious body, which sadly left a weird, inauthentic nutty tinge to both the top and bottom notes. Currently, I've got a nut brown in my secondary for a holiday gift. It's the same malt bill as Northern Brewer's (I like to download their kit inventory pdf. and just buy the ingredients at my local brewer supply). The OG from the fermenter came out spot-on, and I liked what I tasted from my gravity reading. Easy malt bill to fill, easy to brew if you're still shopping for a recipe. Good luck.

Bitter to 28-31 IBUs with Fuggles (I used Willamette) and use about 40% of your bittering hops in EKG at 15 minutes.

Will you please explain your hop additions? Amounts and times? I'd love to try your recipe.

Back