oz to cup conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
Anybody know how many cups 7 oz of priming sugar is?
I am bottling my vanilla weizen today and was reading up that wheat beers usually have more fizz and to use more sugar. The recipator said 8+oz of sugar will give me a carb level of about 4. I figured I would go for 7 or so ounces since 8 seemed really high, but I only have cups to measure with.

thanks

Here's a handy link:

Recipezaar

But to answer your question, there are 8 oz to a cup, so you are looking for 7/8 of a cup, or a little less than a cup for your 7 oz..

:mug:

When you're talking about ounces in the context of sugar (or any dry ingredient), you're talking about a weight measurement. Ounces related to cups is a volume measurement. Not going to be directly comparable, different "ounces".

Unless I'm a *******.

I thought they were different units too. 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces. Is that what they are talking about when recipator says 7 ozs?

Im confused.. its been a looooong weekend and my brain is off. :)

The rule of thumb is 3/4 cup of corn sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch.

Unfortunately, converting ounces (weight) to cups (volume) is not straight-forward. It depends on the density (how tightly you packed the measuring cup) as much as it depends on the dry substance itself.

Crystalized sugars don't pack much. 2 oz. by volume is 1.5 oz. by weight, so a cup is 6 oz. However, when recipes talk about priming sugar, they are almost always talking volume. That's why they say 1/2 cup not 4 oz.

& now I have hops in my sugar bowl.

Latest posts

Back