Anybody have a clone recipe for Pigs Ass Porter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
Harvest Moon Brewery up here in Montana makes one of my all time favorite beers, Pigs Ass Porter.

Does anyone have a recipe for this beer? I would love to give it a try sometime.

Anyone?................. Anyone?................ Bueller?.............. Bueller??

Well if not, how about your favorit porter recipe then?

I am interested in trying this recipe too. I had some of this beer this weekend and enjoyed it. Please post a recipe or something close. I have only brewed a few beers to date but would like to try it next. Thanks

I have never seen this in my area. I will have to bug my Uncle in Montana to ship some to me if possible.

I am a huge Porter fan. It is like a sickness the way I enjoy that type of brew.

As far as recipe's go... I have an extract recipe that the GF really likes.. It is quick and easy to brew up. let em know and I'll toss up the recipe.

I have never seen this in my area. I will have to bug my Uncle in Montana to ship some to me if possible.

I am a huge Porter fan. It is like a sickness the way I enjoy that type of brew.

As far as recipe's go... I have an extract recipe that the GF really likes.. It is quick and easy to brew up. let em know and I'll toss up the recipe.

I know what you mean, between a good nut brown ale and porter, I can't get enough. And this one is my all time favorite, its damned good :mug:

I would love to see your recipe and give it a try. I found another recipe for a partial mash porter that I plan on trying the first of next month. Maybe I'll try em both for a comparison and let you know the results.

Shucks, I had high hopes that I'd find a recipe for my favorite porter here on HBT. I lived in Grass Range, but now I'm stuck in Tennessee, at my age I'll probably die here ;(. I've been to the brewery in Belt a few times, talked to one of the owners, he even bought me a beer! I've tried the Beltian, and Charlie Russell Red, but none can compare to Pig's Ass for flavor, etc. If anyone ever comes up with a recipe that will compare with the real thing, Please let me know! I've made a porter, but it's nothing like PA! Something special about that beer!

Shucks, I had high hopes that I'd find a recipe for my favorite porter here on HBT. I lived in Grass Range, but now I'm stuck in Tennessee, at my age I'll probably die here ;(. I've been to the brewery in Belt a few times, talked to one of the owners, he even bought me a beer! I've tried the Beltian, and Charlie Russell Red, but none can compare to Pig's Ass for flavor, etc. If anyone ever comes up with a recipe that will compare with the real thing, Please let me know! I've made a porter, but it's nothing like PA! Something special about that beer!

I'm back in Montana now, and I've been messing around with a potential PA recipe. With a little help from Craig at Billings Homebrew Supply, I've come pretty close, but I feel like there's just some little thing in the flavor that is missing.

This is what i have so far:
OG:58, SG:57, FG 15, IBU:24.4, SRM:33.3, ABV:5.7, Cal:192
10.625 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Carm/Crys 60L
10 oz UK Chocolate
4 oz Black Malt
1.5 oz EKG @ 90 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 15 min
Mash @ 150 - 60 min for drier/as high as 158 for sweeter brew.
A Whitbread Yeast (S-04), however there are rumors that they use a Belgian yeast becuz they sell a lot more of the Beltian White.

I've tried English Ale (S-04, Muntons, Nottingham, Windsor), California Ale (US-05), but there's just a slight bit of flavor that I can't reach. I'm going to try the Belgian and Abbaye yeasts next to see if that makes the difference. I don't use liquid yeasts (had two bad experiences, but I've never lost a dry yeast batch), so YMMV. I haven't brewed for a while, since I'm converting all my stuff to electric, and on Social (IN)Security, that takes some time. I figger in another couple of months, I may be able to start up brewing again. If you tweak this and get the right taste. let us know - otherwise I'll probably be experimenting with this for another couple of years!

I only brew Stouts, Porters, and IPA's with a very seldom Pale ale, so I've almost always got the right grains on hand for another experimental PA!

At my age, my taster is pretty much gone south, so if you try this and find out that I should tweak my grains or the mash one way or another instead of the yeast, gimme a shout!
THX

Last edited:
Back