Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post is absolutely incredible. Since all of the recommended freezers from the OP are decommissioned at this point, what are people using these days? I'd like to get 6-8 kegs on the floor and then use the compressor hump for two 5 lb CO2 tanks. Seems like a fairly common setup, but I am looking for real world suggestions.

The are "probably" using cardboard cutouts of the diameter of the kegs and bottles, and getting a guesstimate from this post of the cu.ft. size to shop for, and carrying said cutouts to the store with them to shop.........:mug:

Edit: I'm using a 14 cu. ft. Frigidaire, it has held 6 with room to spare, and my gas bottle is outside the keezer, with no collar or coffin top.

FWIW, I have a 6.9 Magic Chef fridge. It fits 4 on the floor, 1 on the hump, with a 10# CO2 tank, but I do have a 10" collar. 8" would most likely be enough, but would be tight if you wanted to connect QD's to the 5th keg.

FWIW, I have a 6.9 Magic Chef fridge. It fits 4 on the floor, 1 on the hump, with a 10# CO2 tank, but I do have a 10" collar. 8" would most likely be enough, but would be tight if you wanted to connect QD's to the 5th keg.

Is this the fridge you have? Also, are you using ball lock or pin lock? I just got that fridge and some pin lock kegs and am estimating I can fit a total of 4 + 15# CO2 tank, but was wondering if it would be worth it to swap to ball lock to save .5" diameter on each one and maybe fit more.

Is this the fridge you have? Also, are you using ball lock or pin lock? I just got that fridge and some pin lock kegs and am estimating I can fit a total of 4 + 15# CO2 tank, but was wondering if it would be worth it to swap to ball lock to save .5" diameter on each one and maybe fit more.

Yes this is the fridge I have

I have 5 ball locks and a 10# tank that fit. 4 on the floor, 1 on the hump with the 10# tank

I am thinking of buying the same fridge and was wondering if you were able to fit 4 pin lock kegs into it, plus 5# co2? I currently have 2 pin lock kegs but plan on getting two more kegs(pin or ball, which ever fits 4 kegs total).

I was asked if the Igloo FRF710 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer would fit two 6.5 gallon bucket fermenters and the answer is YES. Given that they barely fit in this freezer off the hump and without a collar, my guess is that in order to fit into a 5ish cu ft freezer, a very large collar would be necessary. The nice thing about this freezer compared to it's 5 cu ft sibling is that it's only $20 more and the basket is great for storing hops and there's still plenty of room between the hump and bottom of the basket to store 18 bottles (or 36 cans) of beer! The rest of my response is below.

Can anyone confirm that a pair of 6.5 gallon carboys will fit in the FRF710?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, but primary fermentation temperature control is my application.

Thanks!

First, this thread is incredibly useful. It actually spurred me to create an HBT account, finally. Thanks!

Current specifications / requirements:
I built a kegerator bar 3 years ago with wood paneled sides and front and a tiled top, with two dual-faucet towers coming out of the top. Unfortunately, my first chest freezer was really old when I got it, I possibly overcycled the compressor, and it is fried at this point. I'm now trying to get a replacement chest freezer to fit in the existing wood paneling, which is mounted on its own frame. Furthermore, I intend to keep the previous chest freezer lid with the beer line holes drilled into it. Therefore, I will not need to drill into the new chest freezer lid, ideally. I plan to just insulate around the new base and old lid so they fit well.

The wood paneling frame has inner dimensions of 46" wide, 28" deep, and 32" tall not counting the lid, or 34.5" tall including the lid. (I built it to round numbers for simplicity.) The chest freezer has to fit within that space. The width is the hardest requirement, depth could be increased if needed but it would be a pain, and height is not a big issue if it is < 36.5".

i have several 5 gal pin lock homebrew kegs and occasionally purchase 1/4 bbl or 1/2 bbl sanke kegs to add to the lineup. My goal is to get a chest freezer that fits within the wood frame and can hold at least two commercial 1/2 bbl kegs or 4 pin lock kegs, plus a 10# CO2 cylinder. Based on my last chest freezer, that should be really feasible. However, most of the 12+ cu ft freezers I'm seeing now are wider than 46".

The request:
I'm not sure if this Insignia 10.2 cu ft model NS-CZ10WH6 will have enough capacity for two commercial kegs at once, plus 10# CO2. Do any of you know or have suggestions for other fairly inexpensive chest freezers that fit the bill?

Thanks! I've been searching the thread for the answers and will continue, but would really appreciate any pointers.

Current specifications / requirements:
I built a kegerator bar 3 years ago with wood paneled sides and front and a tiled top, with two dual-faucet towers coming out of the top. Unfortunately, my first chest freezer was really old when I got it, I possibly overcycled the compressor, and it is fried at this point.

The first thing that I would do is to ditch the wood paneling. The exterior surface of the chest freezer is the heat radiator for the refrigeration cycle. Any form of insulation means that the compressor has to run longer to expel the heat from the interior to the ambient air.

Can anyone confirm that a pair of 6.5 gallon carboys will fit in the FRF710?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, but primary fermentation temperature control is my application.

Thanks!

It should, i just picked up one of these for myself and it fit my 6.5gal and 5gal carboy with room to spare.... even fit my super old 2gal Mr.Beer fermenter on the hump with enough room to keep the wire basket in to hold other misc stuff.

*note* i had the freezer plugged in without the temp controller for a few days to make sure it worked, just plugged in the controller 20 minutes ago hence the frost.

FRF710 Fermentation Chamber

The first thing that I would do is to ditch the wood paneling. The exterior surface of the chest freezer is the heat radiator for the refrigeration cycle. Any form of insulation means that the compressor has to run longer to expel the heat from the interior to the ambient air.
Thanks for the response. I understand the insulation issue, but the wood paneling makes it classy enough to actually be allowed in the living room. I'm planning on increasing convective heat dissipation by installing a few low energy computer fans on the inside of the paneling / outside the chest freezer to keep constant air flow. Since the new chest freezers I'm looking at are all a little less wide and less deep, there is extra space for air between the chest freezer and wood, so it should not be a big problem. Convective heat transfer with a few fans should have a lot higher efficiency than heat dissipation by simple radiation into air that is not turning over, anyway.

So that leaves the original question -- will the 10.2 cu ft. freezers fit two 1/2 barrel commercial kegs and a 10# CO2 cylinder? I can't seem to find interior dimensions for the Insignia model (Best Buy) anywhere, but it is $100 cheaper than other freezers of similar sizes.

Is the Magic Chef 6.9 pretty much the same as the Magic Chef 7 in that I can have the same layout in either?

Can anyone recommend the smallest/cheapest chest freezer on the market if I'd like to accomplish 8 total corny kegs and 2 5# CO2 tanks? Most of the models on this list are already out of manufacture, but I'm looking for something in the 10-14 cu ft range.

I started a project on a used chest freezer, but unfortunately she bit the dust shortly after I finished making the collar. Obviously my collar won't fit anything new, but it's dimensions are 27.5x48 for reference, so preferably if there's something out there which is smaller I could then simply cut it instead of having to buy new wood.

I've been eyeing the Insignia 10.2 ft3 unit at Best Buy. Around here it's running $260 and I think it will fit what you're looking for.

I just bought that model, brought it home tonight. Haven't put it thru its paces yet so I don't know how many kegs it will hold. I'm looking for six, but will post tomorrow after seeing how many of the 8 kegs I have will fit.

I just bought that model, brought it home tonight. Haven't put it thru its paces yet so I don't know how many kegs it will hold. I'm looking for six, but will post tomorrow after seeing how many of the 8 kegs I have will fit.

Nice, let us know how it goes!

The Insignia 10 cu ft model holds 6 ball locks on the floor without a collar. I think it would be difficult to get 6 pin locks on the floor; the ball locks just fit.

Without a collar, there is very little headroom above my kegs.

The hump is relatively small and easily holds a 5 lb CO2 canister, regulator, etc. It looks like there is enough room above the CO2 for the included food basket but didn't think to check that.

I do intend to put a collar on this unit but in the meantime, I'm using it with party taps.

Hope this helps.

Doc

Do you think a 4" collar would give you all the room you need? Or would you go with something taller like an 8"?

Just came across a slightly bigger model from GE, 10.6 cu ft and it's on sale for $300 at the homeless depot. I think I'm going to go with this guy, I did some math based off the internal measurements and it looks like it will fit 8 ball locks in the base with room for another 2 on the hump, or 2 CO2 tanks in my case. It's short though so it will need a pretty tall collar(~9").

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM11PHWW/205443672

Found the interiors dimensions on Q&A on GE's site:

WxDxH:
Exterior: 50.75 x 27.5 x 35
Interior: 43 x 18 x 25
Hump: 9 x 18 x 9

I'm looking for a suggestion. I read the original page with the great list of freezers, but it seems like most of those models aren't made anymore.

I've been given a free co2 tank, nitrogen tank, and 3 ball lock kegs.

I need to fit this into a spot that can't exceed 41" wide ( I have 44" but the wife wants me to to cover the keezer with wood)
I'd like to fit a co2 tank and the nitrogen tank and 3 minimum corny kegs (prefer 4)

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the Igloo FRF470 7.1 from walmart for $214, but they don't have it on display and I couldn't find any information on corny storage capacity.

I'm looking for a suggestion. I read the original page with the great list of freezers, but it seems like most of those models aren't made anymore.

I need to fit this into a spot that can't exceed 41" wide ( I have 44" but the wife wants me to to cover the keezer with wood)
I'd like to fit a co2 tank and the nitrogen tank and 3 minimum corny kegs (prefer 4)

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the Igloo FRF470 7.1 from walmart for $214, but they don't have it on display and I couldn't find any information on corny storage capacity.

If you can find the interior dimensions of that model all the specs on corny sizes are in this thread somewhere and you should be able to figure if they will fit. In my experience with a similarly-sized 7.2 cu. ft. model I can get three cornys on the floor and one on the hump with a collar on the keezer. I could fit CO2 in also but mine is plumbed to the outside.

Order the 6.9 Magic Chef from Home Depot
I got 4 Ball Lock Corneys and 1 co2 tank into that one

and has a 5 year warranty, the Igloos/GE's have horrid reviews

(now I have upgraded to my Kenmore 14 cu monster ;) the wife has procured that one for the basement
and I use a Kenmore 5 as a dedicated fermentation locker

$168 / http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-6-9-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF7W2/203445397

Any ideas? Thanks!

Do you have any pictures of your setup when you were using the magic chef as a keezer?

Thank you so much too both of you for your helpful responses

I'm looking for a suggestion. .....

I need to fit this into a spot that can't exceed 41" wide ( I have 44" but the wife wants me to to cover the keezer with wood) .

I just add my 2 cents about the "covering with wood". Keep in mind the new chest freezers displace the heat through the walls of the freezer. If you cover the freezer with wood you will be hindering the heat exchange and most likely shorten the life of the freezer...

Thanks for the heads up on the wood. I was planning on doing what Jester did with his.

The back will be open to the wall, then some 1/2 spacers all around to allow air flow, and a fan on the bottom to cycle the hot air up and out.

Floor to rim: 26.5

Hump to rim: 18 inches.

Can you let me know the dimensions of the floor of the interior not including the hump for the 10.2 cuft insignia? (depth and width - don't really care about height).

Also, a review online says it's loud - would you agree?

Thanks!

Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

NbnnITF.png

The Whirlpool 14.8cf WZC3115DW is the same interior dimensions and arrangement as the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW.

Just came across a slightly bigger model from GE, 10.6 cu ft and it's on sale for $300 at the homeless depot. I think I'm going to go with this guy, I did some math based off the internal measurements and it looks like it will fit 8 ball locks in the base with room for another 2 on the hump, or 2 CO2 tanks in my case. It's short though so it will need a pretty tall collar(~9").

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM11PHWW/205443672

Found the interiors dimensions on Q&A on GE's site:

WxDxH:
Exterior: 50.75 x 27.5 x 35
Interior: 43 x 18 x 25
Hump: 9 x 18 x 9

Has anyone been able to confirm the dimensions on this unit and/or confirm how many 5 gallon ball lock kegs this will fit?

Also, anyone know if the exterior dimension includes the hinge on the back?

Has anyone been able to confirm the dimensions on this unit and/or confirm how many 5 gallon ball lock kegs this will fit?

Also, anyone know if the exterior dimension includes the hinge on the back?

I'm running this currently as my kegerator, and it easily fits 8 ball-lock corny kegs in the base with a collar attached. You could fit two more on the hump if you wanted to run your gas outside the keezer. It's got enough room to throw a pin lock here or there as well, but not adjacent to each other, (I have one pin lock keg that was converted to a ball lock, no issues with it crammed between my ball locks)

For the exterior dimensions, if I recall correctly the height includes both the base unit and the attached lid. I'd say it's probably too short to use without some sort of collar, I'm not sure if the lid would close without them. The Interior dimensions i posted are spot on however.

Here's a few pics of my setup before I added the 8th faucet (Nitro). I used an 2x10 collar which leaves plenty of room for tubing and mounting gas equipment, temperature control, etc...

http://imgur.com/a/eYIe1

Any recommendations for the cheapest and smallest footprint chest freezer that will accommodate a single 6.5 gallon glass carboy to use as a fermentation chamber?

If it could double as a keg freezer for one or two 5 gallon kegs when not being used for fermentation that would be great, but is not a requirement. I am primarily looking for a very small fermentation chamber to prepare for brewing in the spring and summer months here in GA.

Thanks!

Anybody have experience with the Amana 5.3 cu ft chest freezer?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amana-5-3-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-AQC0501DRW/205046737

I have a pretty tight spot to deal with, but this would be perfect. There's a space next to my hot water heater that just so happens to be directly adjacent to my downstairs bar...through the wall taps!! I'm looking for a model that can fit 4 kegs and is 35" or less on the width. The danby 5.5 on the specs sheet would be perfect but the newer model is about $300 and the amana is $200. MIL also got me a $200 card to home depot for xmas. I came across another thread where someone fit 4 ball locks into a 5.3 B&D fridge, and this is the only 5.3-5.5 cu ft freezer home depot has for sale.

Your not getting 4 five gallon ball locks in a 5.5 Cu ft freezer. You will get 2 on the floor and will need a collar to get 1 on the hump.

For 4 five gallon kegs you will need a 7.2 cu ft or better to get 4 on the floor and a 2.5 gal on the hump.

Kegs are not completely round or straight so keep that in mind.

Your not getting 4 five gallon ball locks in a 5.5 Cu ft freezer. You will get 2 on the floor and will need a collar to get 1 on the hump.

For 4 five gallon kegs you will need a 7.2 cu ft or better to get 4 on the floor and a 2.5 gal on the hump.

Kegs are not completely round or straight so keep that in mind.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172515

This fellow got a 5.3 Black and Decker and fit 4 in his, pics in thread

The Danby 5.5 cu ft listed in the chart on the OP also states 4 ball locks are possible with a collar.

q2keZ3T.png

Here's a few pics of my setup before I added the 8th faucet (Nitro). I used an 2x10 collar which leaves plenty of room for tubing and mounting gas equipment, temperature control, etc...

http://imgur.com/a/eYIe1

Got the GE freezer an noticed there is a wire from the base to the lid, presumably for the light in the top and possibly a switch for open/close status. It looks like I MIGHT be able to do a six inch collar with this wire intact (could be close) but it doesn't look like 10 inch would work. Did your model have this wire (could be a new feature that was added) and, if so, was it easy to remove or extend or how did you deal with it? If it's just a few wires presumably they could easily be cut and spliced.

The Danby 5.5 cu ft will not hold 3 ball locks on the floor. At least not mine. Made the mistake of trying to shove the third one down because it is close to being able to fit and it was not fun to get it back out. lol

I just found one on CL and took my 3 ball lock cornys to test fit before buying it. They did not fit. I could have tried jamming the 3rd one in but it probably would have been ugly.

Back