Bottling After 11-12 Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
My American Wheat has been in the Primary for 10 days now and the gravity has fallen from 1.050 to 1.010. My estimated ABV is 5.24%. If my gravity is the same tomorrow and Wednesday, is it too early to bottle it? I'll be gone until next Monday, and having heard that Wheats are better young, I thought it would be possible to bottle a bit early if the gravity has already fallen that low. Thoughts?

*I added 24oz of honey at flameout so expected it to take longer to chew through the extra sugar. Ambient temps in the apt. ranged from 68-80.

You should be fine, as long as you're sure the gravity has stabilized. As long as you are getting the same gravity reading for 3 days in a row, fermentation should be complete.

Many of us bottle wheats a little early. I usually bottle wheats after 14 days, but I've seen mention on this site of bottling after as little as 10 days in primary. As long as you're sure your fermentation is complete, I'd say go for it.

i wait 3 weeks until i bottle.. but thats just the advice I was given... I was also told the longer you wait the better the taste. :) patience is key!

The plot (or beer?) thickens...

Gravity reading yesterday: 1.010
Gravity reading this evening: 1.012

:drunk:

I'm guessing I just made an incorrect reading off the hydrometer (due to massive bubbliness in the thief), rather than the gravity in my brew all of a sudden increasing again. Just to be on the safe side though, this isn't some weird occurrence that gravity increases again is it? I'm just making sure I'm not crazy.

The plot (or beer?) thickens...

Gravity reading yesterday: 1.010
Gravity reading this evening: 1.012

:drunk:

I'm guessing I just made an incorrect reading off the hydrometer (due to massive bubbliness in the thief), rather than the gravity in my brew all of a sudden increasing again

That's right. There's no way your gravity actually increased.

wheats are good early. Taste it...If it's awesome (as awesome as a flat, uncarbed beer can be) go for it.

I wait 3 weeks min for most beers, but not wheats...

Yeah, I poured a bit into a shot glass and it already tasted like something I'd drink, and it was room temp and not carbonated lol. I'll definitely be bottling it tomorrow before I leave for rest of the week.

Latest posts

Back