home made wine corker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movement

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone here has used house hold items or made a quick trip to home depot and made they're own wine corker. cause they want to charge $100 for a good one :mad:
if you look at them its mainly leverage just i wouldn't know how to make it so i don't snap the bottle

A top of the line floor corker costs over $100 but the floor corker I use is only $68 at Northern Brewer. A double lever corker, like I used for two years, is only $25 and you can get a very basic plastic plunger corker for $6 that is likely better than anything you can make. Do yourself a favor and buy a proven design. Wine takes a lot of time and not an insignificant amount of money to make. Don't risk snapping bottle necks with a homemade corker.

I've been doing a forum search, and I swear that someone posted a design for one on here a few months back....Search didn't turn up anything. But I'm pretty sure that there was a parts list and everything. I'll keep looking.

(I'm all about the DIY :D)

I'm BAAACK!!!

Yuri Rage posted a thread on a DIY bench capper for beer bottles that could probably be modified to cork....After you read the thread you might want to PM him (he's a mcgyvering genuis) and maybe he'll help you come up with the corker part of it...Then you could post your plans, and we'll have both a corker and a capper design in our DIY library!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-bench-capper-26795/

One of the things to consider is that commercial corkers don't just force the cork into the bottle, they actually compress the cork so that it is smaller, and then "grows" to fit the inside of the bottle. So, if you were to make one, you'd have to have something work to compress the round cork, and then something to push and insert it. It sounds like an expensive project to me- it might be cheaper to buy a $25 double level corker. They work ok, much better than the more expensive "gilda" corker, but not as well as the Portuguese floor corker. I paid about $55 for my floor corker, I think.

I'm BAAACK!!!

Yuri Rage posted a thread on a DIY bench capper for beer bottles that could probably be modified to cork....After you read the thread you might want to PM him (he's a mcgyvering genuis) and maybe he'll help you come up with the corker part of it...Then you could post your plans, and we'll have both a corker and a capper design in our DIY library!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-bench-capper-26795/

wow, i have a clamp just like that laying around, its such a good idea too! my girls making sangria tonight, Im going to take one of the synthetic corks and try to cork the wine she uses with the clamp to see how well it works/how risky it would be. if it aint worth it then ill just pick up a double lever for the time being.

When I bottle wine I rent a portuguese floor corker for $10 or so for the night from the LHBS. Sure is cheaper than hiring a hooker! Plus hookers tend to not know how to bottle properly anyways.

Hey Movement, before you try bottling with a clamp, he did not do that. He just used that as a base set of parts to build his own capper. He never just clamped the cap on, sorry if this isn't what you meant, but it seemed like it was and that's a bit scary if you try that.

Portuguese floor model is the ticket, as I have discovered #9 corks are not of the same dia. Only thing is they should be cleaned regularly, I took mine apart and drilled two 1/8" holes 180° on bottom to allow proper drainage of sullfite water when cleaning. Not easy to reassemble.

Back