Mexican Coke Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 83772

Reaction score
Fellow brewers!

I have two cases of empty Mexican Coke bottles graciously donated to me by a friend. I also have two gallons of experimental ginger beer ready to be bottled up.

As long as I'm not worried about light-strike (there's no hops in this brew) am I good to use the Coke bottles? I'm assuming they'll hold pressure, but I'm not sure how carbonation pressures for soda compare to beers so I figured I'd check with the hive mind first.

Thanks!

They should work fine. You may want to turn the bottle 90 degrees and do a second crimp of the cap if it doesn't seem to be sitting the same way as it does on a typical longneck beer bottle.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I'm good to go. But like I mentioned, there's no worry about lightstrike/skunking. This brew is literally ginger, brown sugar, yeast & water. Nothing to skunk. :D

Every batch I've brewed I fill one clear glass coke bottle with the brew. This way I can see the color, sediment, etc... I keep them in the kegerator (home made with a mini fridge) all the way in the back to minimize the exposure to sunlight. You will be fine with them holding the pressure!

Now here's the weird part. I save those brews (bottled in the clear bottle) to enjoy later on to see if the beer ages well with time. Maybe I'm wasting a bottle of brew by doing this but I don't know. But I feel there were some Mr Beer kits I made about two years ago that seemed to taste beer after it was bottled and chilled for several months.

I have a milk crate full of old Coke bottles, and I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing with a lacto ginger beer. Best of luck!

I love using the mexican coke bottles, they cap very well with a bench capper (never owned a wing capper), but yeah, I would trust them at higher pressures than most beer bottles.

I read somewhere here that someone considered bottling a stout in them and capping with red caps as a joke for a bachelor party, but I never heard exactly how that turned out.

That sounds awesome. Recipe please!

I basically use Sandor Katz' recipe. 3-6 inches of ginger root, diced and boiled in a half gallon of water, with a cup and a quarter of sugar. I like to mix in some brown sugar or even molasses for color.

I normally use a ginger bug to ferment for a day and then bottle. This time around I followed the same schedule, but I used a home-grown lacto culture, instead of growing up a ginger bug.

View attachment 1438269599318.jpg

Back