would you spend $1050

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
On this setup? if you had $1050 to spend?

brewstand-56272.jpg

Two Tier stand- HLT Sits higher and Gravity feeds into MLT. MLT and boil kettle on same level. Stand is MIG welded Square tube steel painted black with high heat paint. It can break down into 2 pieces for easier transport. Stand has 2 Banjo Burners attached. Locking heavy duty casters for easy moving.

Kettles are converted Kegs, all have weldless 3 piece ball valves and fittings. All keggles have stainless steel camlock quick disconnects. Dip tubes and other specifics noted below.

Hot Liquor Tank (HLT)- Converted Keg, lightly polished. Has polycarbonate sight tube and weldless thermometer attached. ½ Inch Copper Dip tube.

Mash/Lauter Tun (MLT)- Converted Keg, insulation attached, 3/8 inch Stainless dip tube with Brass Compression Fitting connects to Sanke Contoured False bottom. Aluminum lid with CPVC sparge system attached. Weldless thermometer attached.

Boil Kettle- Converted Keg lightly polished. Copper Dip tube. PVC/CPVC Hop spider with nylon bag.

Hoses- Three ½ inch hoses with stainless quick disconnects on each end.

Burners- Banjo burners, comes with 2 high pressure regulators, an 10psi and a 30psi.

Counter Flow Chiller (CFC)- Very High efficiency 25 foot long CFC, 3/8 copper, brass hose fittings, quick disconnect on one side closest to kettle.

Pump- Chugger Pump Poly Inline. Stainless steel 2 piece Ball valve and quick disconnects on both sides. It bolts on to lower part of stand.

It's worth it. Not a gorgeous system, but definitely worth it especially with the pump and the CFC.

Doesn't look like a bad setup for just a shade over $1000, especially if it comes with the keggles. I would seriously consider upgrading the CF chiller to a plate chiller though.

Well, let's think about this...

$90 for 3 kegs, if you get really lucky
$90 for the hardware on the HLT
$180 for the hardware and insulation on the MLT
$40 for the hardware on the BK
$80 for the hoses and QD's / clamps on the hoses
$130 for the burners and regulators
$170 for the pump and pump QD's
$80 for the CFC

That's $860 just for the stuff minus the stand.

The stand is worth more than $190, and you don't have to bother with building anything, and I didn't include shipping all of that junk to your house, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'd consider installing a sight glass and thermometer combo onto the BK. The thermo isn't all that important, but if you're going to install a sight glass then why not just install the combo for an extra 15 bucks or so.

Would I spend that much??

No

Here's why...
I have keggles already, so I don't need what someone else has made.
I have two pumps already, so having another isn't needed.
I have a large plate chiller (Duda Diesel, long 40 plate) so a CFC is of no value to me.
I have two burners already. When I get a stand, it will have three. One for each step. I like to direct fire the mash tun to get the strike water to temp, and maintain the mash temp (as needed).
I have plenty of 1/2" ID silicone tubing, as well as stainless fittings for all.

For me, the only part of any value would have been the stand. IF it had three burners. Since it doesn't, I wouldn't buy it period...

Don't be mad, you did ask if I would spend $1050 for that... :tank: :drunk:

Are you selling or buying this? Either way it's about the price range I would sell it for, and a little more than I would pay. It's a close call. Definitely worth checking out. The reason being I know the work that was involved. If I had to do it all over again, would I pay $1050? Yeah probably.

And if I was the seller.... I wouldn't take anything less.

Primevci said:
me and the wife are already splitting up so no worries there :)

Nothing to smile about. Divorces suck almost as bad as crappy marriages. Sorry man. Hopefully you can find comfort in your new rig? ;)

bottlebomber said:
Nothing to smile about. Divorces suck almost as bad as crappy marriages. Sorry man. Hopefully you can find comfort in your new rig? ;)

Yeah we where friends before we got together we are ending it civialy... We been split up for over a year I let her live here still because she lost her job in the middle of our split up and is saving to move to Alaska where some of her family lives its no biggie but I do half to say I love being in control of my own money.... I don't think I'll ever get married again... That's for sure.... And it's not because I'm shellfish I pay all the bills and have her on my health insurance so to me it feels like I'm helping out a friend and at least we are still that after all this.....

Golddiggie said:
Would I spend that much??

No

Here's why...
I have keggles already, so I don't need what someone else has made.
I have two pumps already, so having another isn't needed.
I have a large plate chiller (Duda Diesel, long 40 plate) so a CFC is of no value to me.
I have two burners already. When I get a stand, it will have three. One for each step. I like to direct fire the mash tun to get the strike water to temp, and maintain the mash temp (as needed).
I have plenty of 1/2" ID silicone tubing, as well as stainless fittings for all.

For me, the only part of any value would have been the stand. IF it had three burners. Since it doesn't, I wouldn't buy it period...

Don't be mad, you did ask if I would spend $1050 for that... :tank: :drunk:

I'll be more specific.... If your where doing all grain out of 10gal round cooler boiling on a turkey fryer with a 10gal pot aluminium And doing the mash in a kitchen on a crappy electric stove with your canning pot.. Would you buy this to make sure u can do it in one spot outside...?

Primevci said:
Yeah we where friends before we got together we are ending it civialy... We been split up for over a year I let her live here still because she lost her job in the middle of our split up and is saving to move to Alaska where some of her family lives its no biggie but I do half to say I love being in control of my own money.... I don't think I'll ever get married again... That's for sure.... And it's not because I'm shellfish I pay all the bills and have her on my health insurance so to me it feels like I'm helping out a friend and at least we are still that after all this.....

When I read something like this I have to think about how many ladies would be so sympathetic ;)

someday, someday. honestly i have found whatever i invest towards making a better beer easier, i feel satisfied with the results in cheap, high quality beer. in 5 years or so i'll have a set rig i hope that'll last me into old age

fredthecat said:
someday, someday. honestly i have found whatever i invest towards making a better beer easier, i feel satisfied with the results in cheap, high quality beer. in 5 years or so i'll have a set rig i hope that'll last me into old age

That's exactly where I'm at. I make great beer with a cheap cooler and a single 10 gallon kettle. I will eventually buy a bling set up. I will also buy a sports car. Neither one is going to be essential for getting me from A to B.

bottlebomber said:
That's exactly where I'm at. I make great beer with a cheap cooler and a single 10 gallon kettle. I will eventually buy a bling set up. I will also buy a sports car. Neither one is going to be essential for getting me from A to B.

I hear ya but sometimes having fun getting from a to be can be more injoyable

I hear ya but sometimes having fun getting from A to B can be more injoyable

Yes agreed! I have strict requirements for purchasing additional brewing gear as follows:

1) will it make the beer better
2) will it reduce the labor involved

With those two criteria, my equipment has remained rather spartan. I read a rather intreresting post a few weeks back that read, "my pumps stay in the closet, they are too much trouble to clean."

Bling takes upkeep ya know!

Yes agreed! I have strict requirements for purchasing additional brewing gear as follows:

1) will it make the beer better
2) will it reduce the labor involved

With those two criteria, my equipment has remained rather spartan. I read a rather intreresting post a few weeks back that read, "my pumps stay in the closet, they are to much trouble to clean."

Bling takes upkeep ya know!

I think your requirements are a bit too strict. Just making a brew day easier or faster is enough for me. Not many pieces of equipment actually make beer better AND make it easier to brew. I could brew with nothing but my keggle, a burner and a bucket if I had to, but it would be a royal pain.

It takes me 40 minutes to drain into two carboys with gravity feeding. It takes me 18 minutes or so with a pump. It takes two minutes to backflush the pump after I'm done with it. That's a savings of 20 minutes every brewday, plus I don't have to lift 11 gallons of boiling hot wort. The pump is definitely worth it.

Welp picked it up looks solid and sturdy and I'm happy plus I got to shoot some brewing talk with the guy can wait to set it up and figure out the dead space so on so forth. he was selling it because he is building a electric setup.. guessing i got him 1050 closer to that goal...

LandoLincoln said:
It takes me 40 minutes to drain into two carboys with gravity feeding.

Are they 3BBL carboys, or have you found a 1/16 ball valve? I drain my kettle in under 3 minutes... Maybe a bazooka screen? This seems way, way too long.

Yep. Just getting started with a gravity system with all the little bits and pieces (ie. volume for volume) will cost about the same. I'm just saying.:mug:

Are they 3BBL carboys, or have you found a 1/16 ball valve? I drain my kettle in under 3 minutes... Maybe a bazooka screen? This seems way, way too long.

I drain it through either a plate chiller or a CFC. That's why it takes so long.

LandoLincoln said:
I drain it through either a plate chiller or a CFC. That's why it takes so long.

Huh. Does it still get as cool as it did with sucking it through the plate chiller with a pump?

I think you made a good purchase. I just finished a single tier, gas fired with Igloo and 2 pumps. I plumbed it for clean in place so back flushing pumps and hoses is a breeze...I love using it, made my brew day much more enjoyable. I re-purposed my turkey fryer for the HLT and use the SS IC for my HERMS coil.....I do 5 gallon batches so a keggle HLT seemed like overkill.

Back