Which Yeast do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndVine

Reaction score
As a home brewing supply store we want to know which yeast are you using the most? Do you prefer White Labs or Wyeast? Tell us your favorite types? If we don't have it we'll stock it. :tank:

Always just gone with Wyeast because of the Smack pack giving some indication of viability. That said I almost always make starters for beer.

My house strains are WY2565, 3787, 3333, and 2308. I use Bells yeast in a lot of my porters, stouts, APA's, bitters, and IPA's which of course is not for sale.

White labs is the only yeast I use, apart from the bog-standard US-05 and S-04. They're local to me, and I've always enjoyed the quality of their yeast, the variety of strains they offer, as well as the platinum strains. Even when ordering online, I get WL yeast because it's way easier to ship the vial cool (wrap the cold pack around it) than trying to keep a foil bag full of yeast cool.

Lately I have taken to using Fermentis for all my brews. I used US-05 for my last 3 ales and S-23 for my vanilla pumpkin lager. Using WB-06 for my belgian pale ale and US-05 for my oatmeal stout this weekend.

Chico, US-05 version as it's cheaper. I use WLP400 for wits. Always use white labs yeast personally but don't have a great reason. Never liked the smack-pack idea. I check the dates on the yeast and make starters as needed (unless repitching). I love WLP029 Kolsch yeast to make pseudo lagers and Kolsch's/clean ales. The WLP500 is a nice trappist yeast, too.

I use either. One of the LHBS only carries Wyeast, the other carries both, but not usually the same strains from both. I do like knowing that the smackpack swells to show viability, but I haven't had any problems with either brand ever.

As for which strains, that really depends on the recipe. I like making lagers, but I've only done 5 at this point because I need cold weather for that, and since they take time it ties up the equipment for a longer period. I usually run out of winter. I usually pick the strain at the shop, based on availability.

Wyeast. I usually use a strain from the PC and a standard Belgian strain (1214, 3711,...). Sometimes a 1084, 1728, 1056, 2124, ...

In the summer I use US 05 the most, during the year I use various types of White Labs yeast depending on what I'm brewing..

I recently received White Labs 299 from Austin Hombrew Supply with the Orange Blossom Kit. I purchased the cold pack to preserve it. Evidently it was DOA (dead on arrival). So I will use Wyeast and another supplier next time.

I recently received White Labs 299 from Austin Hombrew Supply with the Orange Blossom Kit. I purchased the cold pack to preserve it. Evidently it was DOA (dead on arrival). So I will use Wyeast and another supplier next time.

It's more likely the heat vs. an issue with White Labs. Did you make a starter with it? It's really hard to kill yeast during shipping. It can happen, but most of the time a starter will do the trick.

White Labs is much easier to deal with than Wyeast - much less storage space required, they have a good return program for unsold vials, and you don't run into the issue of high numbers of returns due to pre-inflated packs as well as packs that do not inflate in a timely manner.

I made a starter. Followed AHS directions with their starter kit. I've made several starters and never had one fail. This one after 20 hours never activated. Tested with refractometer it was 1.046 after 20 hours. The kit and yeast was on special at a reduced price. I guess that was the reason.

Austin Homebrew Supply Has informed me they will ship White Labs 299 Monday to replace the vile I received. They offered to ship it today but, said its not a good idea to let it be in a UPS warehouse over the weekend. The customer service is excellent.

Wyeast, it's all I've used and I've always been happy with the results! I brew a lot of different styles and I believe the yeast makes the beer so I keep a wide variety.

1056- American Ale
1318 - London Ale III
2565 - Kolsch
3056 - Bavarian yeast blend
1762 - Belgian Abbey II
3787 - Trappist high gravity
5526 - Brettanomyces lambicus for 100% brett beers

If I were mail ordering now it would be dry yeast because of the heat.
As to Wyeast and White Labs for me the only difference is the size of the packaging and since I have plenty of space in my beer fridge that is of no concern.

Used so far in my 1 year 1 month experience:

Danstar Nottingham
3787 Trappist
1056 American Ale
1945 Neobrittania
023 Burton Ale
051 California Ale V
US05
1450 Denny's Favorite 50
1010 American Wheat
2112 California Lager
041 Pacific Ale
T-58 Specialty Ale
300 Hefeweizen Ale

On deck are: 002 English Ale and 028 Edinburgh Ale

If I were mail ordering now it would be dry yeast because of the heat.
As to Wyeast and White Labs for me the only difference is the size of the packaging and since I have plenty of space in my beer fridge that is of no concern.

Used so far in my 1 year 1 month experience:

Danstar Nottingham
3787 Trappist
1056 American Ale
1945 Neobrittania
023 Burton Ale
051 California Ale V
US05
1450 Denny's Favorite 50
1010 American Wheat
2112 California Lager
041 Pacific Ale
T-58 Specialty Ale
300 Hefeweizen Ale

On deck are: 002 English Ale and 028 Edinburgh Ale

I was wondering about your experience with the Burton 023. What temperature range did you brew and/or age in? Did you also have a volcano in your brew bucket/carboy like many others? Any information/experience would be great. Did you also get the "fruit" from the yeast?

Back