Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The krausen on mine just started to go down and I only had 1 day of strong activity. There appears to be a settling down now and the yeast is forming a compact cake at the bottom.

Has anyone experienced only 1 day of strong fermentation activity?

I realize a hydrometer sample is the only way to tell but I want to give it at least a week.

I still have not had occasion to use this yeast, but that sounds interesting. The behavior you're describing (and what some others have posted) is what I usually associate with some British yeasts, WLP002 in particular. Long lag, a quick, highly active ferment, followed by muted hops.

Some of what I am reading makes this sound like a Brit yeast with a low ester profile rather than a US-05 alternative. I have a 10-gal system being built at Morebeer presently. For my inaugural batch, I was going to make a simple, lowly-hopped beer that I keep around for my wife and our friends. I usually use US05 in it because it's clean and reliable. I may split the batch into two 5-gal fermenters and try this yeast side by side with US05.

Update: The US-05 still has noticeably more hop aroma and bitterness. The BRY-97 has mellowed a bit. The caramel flavor is a bit more muted. The US-05 is still the winner.

I have a pale ale that used bry-97.

Clarity- I think BRY-97 and US-05 are about the same. I brew lots of beers with 6-7 SRM (quite transparent). The BRY-97 took about 2 weeks in the keg to be crystal clear (about the same time as US-05).

Bitterness- my beer is too bitter but I think I have a recipe problem there.

Late hops flavor- maybe a bit less than US-05 but hard to say without side by side comparison.

Esters- I don't taste any but they could be covered by late hops.

I still have not had occasion to use this yeast, but that sounds interesting. The behavior you're describing (and what some others have posted) is what I usually associate with some British yeasts, WLP002 in particular. Long lag, a quick, highly active ferment, followed by muted hops.

Some of what I am reading makes this sound like a Brit yeast with a low ester profile rather than a US-05 alternative. I have a 10-gal system being built at Morebeer presently. For my inaugural batch, I was going to make a simple, lowly-hopped beer that I keep around for my wife and our friends. I usually use US05 in it because it's clean and reliable. I may split the batch into two 5-gal fermenters and try this yeast side by side with US05.

Good point. They say it's like 05 but I keep hearing about it diminishing the hops. I wanted to try this in my citra amarillo pale ale but I feel like I would be wasting the hops.

I plan on using this tomorrow on a Wheat IPA with Centennial, Amarillo, and Simcoe. Mash temp of 150, OG 1.060, and about a pound of specialty grains. I plan to rehydrate about 30 mins before pitching. Will report back with my results.....

I have a 2 week bottled ipa with this. So far due to maybe my own mistake its seems more of a pale ale. Around a mid 5%beer which I meant to be bigger. Bitterness is good,hop flavor seems somewhat lacking but Im not blaming this yeast, could be my water/water salts I used. Mixed grain bill,2 row,pale,vienna belgian pils,some crystal malts, I used about 17% red wheat also. I would have to say that this beer so far may be better with the yeast added to the botttle from the bottem,maybe. Its pretty good so far but Im kind of maybe thinking not so great for an ipa maybe.Its a good beer so far young,just unshure if I would make a hoppy ipa of it again. I think all the good stuff may settle with the yeast,try adding the yeast to your beer and tell me Im not alone on this one. At this point I also see good potential for this beer with a few more weeks or month or so.

I have a 2 week bottled ipa with this. So far due to maybe my own mistake its seems more of a pale ale. Around a mid 5%beer which I meant to be bigger. Bitterness is good,hop flavor seems somewhat lacking but Im not blaming this yeast, could be my water/water salts I used. Mixed grain bill,2 row,pale,vienna belgian pils,some crystal malts, I used about 17% red wheat also. I would have to say that this beer so far may be better with the yeast added to the botttle from the bottem,maybe. Its pretty good so far but Im kind of maybe thinking not so great for an ipa maybe.Its a good beer so far young,just unshure if I would make a hoppy ipa of it again. I think all the good stuff may settle with the yeast,try adding the yeast to your beer and tell me Im not alone on this one. At this point I also see good potential for this beer with a few more weeks or month or so.

This yeast makes a fine IPA.. Sounds like the problem was you, not the yeast. What was your hop schedule?

This yeast makes a fine IPA.. Sounds like the problem was you, not the yeast. What was your hop schedule?

Bascially 1 oz each summit and columbus in the boil. 1 oz NZ Pacific Jade dryhopp. Ended up with 28 bottles was shooting for 2.5 gallons,was trying to account for the hop loss water loss but did end up having to top off a little, had about 1.75 oz of hops all in late additons. .2 oz columbus for bittering a 70-75min boil.
Like I said, its probably still to young to decide that yet. And could be how I used my brewing salts. Its really probably not ready,so I should have not have said anything really but 2 weeks bottled is as is.
My mash ph was good but I do wonder would a 5.0 mash have any effect? because those ph strips are pretty vague.

Bascially 1 oz each summit and columbus in the boil. 1 oz NZ Pacific Jade dryhopp. Ended up with 28 bottles was shooting for 2.5 gallons,was trying to account for the hop loss water loss but did end up having to top off a little, had about 1.75 oz of hops all in late additons. .2 oz columbus for bittering a 70-75min boil.
Like I said, its probably still to young to decide that yet. And could be how I used my brewing salts. Its really probably not ready,so I should have not have said anything really but 2 weeks bottled is as is.
My mash ph was good but I do wonder would a 5.0 mash have any effect? because those ph strips are pretty vague.

2 oz in the boil, 1 oz dry hop? There's your problem: not enough hops. I like 4+ oz in the boil and a 4 oz dry hop in my (regular) IPAs.

I 100% agree with this I have never had S-05 get as crystal clear as BRY-97....drops much faster

Anyone else not get clear beer with this?

I painter bag strained the wort into the primary where it sat for 3 weeks. I even sat it outside last night for a quick crash.

My first batch (in which EVERYTHING from the kettle went in) was WAY more clear than this.

It tasted/smelled fine and it was definately done fermenting.

Mine cleared up beautifully after 3 weeks in the keg. It was pretty cloudy when I kegged it.

After 3 weeks in the keg I think it is same clarity I get with US-05. For me these yeast are equal.

2 oz in the boil, 1 oz dry hop? There's your problem: not enough hops. I like 4+ oz in the boil and a 4 oz dry hop in my (regular) IPAs.

For 2.5 gal? Most of my hop additons in it were late additons, 1.8 oz of hops in fact.

BrewerE said:
Anyone else not get clear beer with this?

I painter bag strained the wort into the primary where it sat for 3 weeks. I even sat it outside last night for a quick crash.

My first batch (in which EVERYTHING from the kettle went in) was WAY more clear than this.

It tasted/smelled fine and it was definately done fermenting.

Dumping everything from the kettle may actually cause it to clear or do so faster. I've listened to a few brewing podcast experiments where they experimented with this and found the same counter intuitive results.

brian_n said:
I plan on using this tomorrow on a Wheat IPA with Centennial, Amarillo, and Simcoe. Mash temp of 150, OG 1.060, and about a pound of specialty grains. I plan to rehydrate about 30 mins before pitching. Will report back with my results.....

I rehydrated and pitched at 64F. My lag time was about 40 hours before airlock activity but its going strong now and the activity has brought the temp up to about 68.

I made an amber ale with BRY-97. It worked really fast, but it took fooooorrrrreeeeevvvvverrrrrrrrrrr to carbonate in the bottles. My result is super clear beer with no straining or really any attention paid to keeping sediment out of anything in any part of the process. Beer tastes really clean, and fermented dry.

I made an amber ale with BRY-97. It worked really fast, but it took fooooorrrrreeeeevvvvverrrrrrrrrrr to carbonate in the bottles. My result is super clear beer with no straining or really any attention paid to keeping sediment out of anything in any part of the process. Beer tastes really clean, and fermented dry.

What temps were you carbonating? Its been cool,and its been taking all my batches with different yeast forever to carb this winter.Ive had about 65 average temps, I found a spot above my fridge which is 67 minimum,which I first will stash for two weeks then rotate my new batch and bring those down to room temp average 65-just so I can get my new batch carbonating a little higher temps the first few weeks at first. Cant wait for my first 3 gal keg to get here.

I just did a Mosaic IPA this weekend, and opted to use B97 in it. I've used this before for the same grain bill.. Rehydrated it 15 minutes before pitching.. stirred the slurry, and slung it in there when I was draining the kettle after whirlpooling.

It was going gang buster Saturday afternoon, and I pitched it around 10-11pm Friday.

Got some huge krausen in there, more than I remember..

I pitched it into 1.071 wort at 66* and held at 66* there is finally a krausen forming after 40 hours.

Mines going wild still.. Infact, it's borderline cloggin my airlock in a 6.5g carboy with 5.25 gallons in there. Sitting in my 50* garage too.

I'm wanting to try this in SWMBO Slayer, the only other change being .25 lb of Honey Malt in a 5 gallon batch. Any thoughts on how this may turn out?

I'm wanting to try this in SWMBO Slayer, the only other change being .25 lb of Honey Malt in a 5 gallon batch. Any thoughts on how this may turn out?

A slight sweet honey note maybe.

Im having my IPA now with this yeast,fully carbed in the fridge for almost a week.I didnt make it past a chill or hop haze phase but I think this may clear up more with lagering/conditoning. Maybe not I used a # of redwheat in a 2.5 gal batch so that may make it hazy I think.Aroma and hop/malt flavor are a bit mild but bitterness is good,its crisp and clean and kind of lagerish as well. Im happy how the beer turned out. I almost want to say its german lager like without the german malt taste. Still made a good beer and I would use this again anytime.

Just kegged a split 10 gallon pale ale using bry-97 for five gallons and Wyeast Northwest ale yeast (one of my favorites for pale ales) carbonated and drank the Bry-97 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it tasted. Seems very well balanced and I got better attenuation the NW yeast. Carbonating the NW ale yeast batch as we speak so I will let you all know how it compares. I used citra + EKG for bittering and Cascades + fuggles for flavor and cascades for aroma. I will put the recipe on gonzobrewers.com "forum" section recipe exchange if anyone is interested.

Excited to pitch this into a split batch of my Brown Ale this weekend, the other half is getting WLP002. I've used WLP001 and WLP090 on this beer in the past, so it'll be a fun experiment!

I ended up with 80% attenuation, 1.062-1.012. Mashed at 151. 87% base malts, 5% carapils, 2% crystal, 2% biscuit, and 4% table sugar. Dryhopped yesterday, and the hydro sample certainly didn't have the "muted" hops that people have mentioned.

EDIT: Not sure what changed between my hydro sample and now that it's kegged, but the hops definitely are "muted". Still a good beer, but tastes more like an Extra Pale Ale than an IPA.

Finally sampled my carbed and chilled amber (10g batch, split between 05 and 97, fermented at 62*F, same FG).

Several people sampled and we all agreed: hop aroma and bitterness slightly more pronounced with US-05. Very slight pineapple aroma/flavor from 97.

Overall, both were a lot more similar than I would've guessed.

But, I still prefer 05's overall performance and results.

Glad I found this thread. Brewed a brewers best apa kit with this yeast sunday night subbed the cascade and williamete hops with 2 oz citra. Read through this thread tonight. Was worried about no activity but since my bucket temp is 60F I'm not too worried with that. Now I'm a little concerned with my hops I wanted to have a good example of what citra can do

Been watching this thread for weeks and I finally got the ingredients for a SMASH beer for Saturday. MO and Citra. Shooting for 1.057 to 1.060 and about 45-50 IBU.

Going to do 10 gallons. One fermenter will get us-05 and one will get BRY 97. Garage is still a little cold at night and I only have a fermentation cooler, not. heater. But these will stay in my winter ferment chamber (spare bedroom that says 65f ambient when the vents are closed).

I rehydrate all my dried yeasts in room temp bottled water. Had an email exchange with Jamil a few years ago where he said yeast viability increases significantly when hydrating in water vs. wort. They are going to rehydrate in one solution or another, right?

I am hoping to minimize the lag for the BRY with rehydration and a good shot of O2 before pitching. But based on results here, I don't plan to be concerned if the BRY lags behind the US05.

I promise I'll take good notes and post my observations/results here as things progress.

My BRY-97 batch of Brown finally took off after nearly 48 hours. It was sitting around 66F yesterday morning, by the time I got home from work (about 12 hours later) it was at 73F... this is in a temp controlled chamber. I'm hoping the few days it spent in the mid-60s will help reduce off flavors...

russrob81 said:
Mines pumping along evert 3-4 seconds for 24 hrs now at 68F. Smells great

Nice! I just saw on the Northern Brewer website that, in their experience, BRY-97 ferments clean all the way up to 78F. Wow! That makes my 72F seem cold.

The longer my beer is conditoning now,Im starting to get that this yeast seems, is more similar to Nottingham. I can smell it like I can with nottingham also. My dryhopps shure seemed to lose aroma before full carbonation took place though.My wife describes it as crisp,fresh-she doesnt drink beer much though. I can still pick up some mild fruit from the Pacific Jade dryhopp though.

winvarin said:
Been watching this thread for weeks and I finally got the ingredients for a SMASH beer for Saturday. MO and Citra. Shooting for 1.057 to 1.060 and about 45-50 IBU.

Going to do 10 gallons. One fermenter will get us-05 and one will get BRY 97. Garage is still a little cold at night and I only have a fermentation cooler, not. heater. But these will stay in my winter ferment chamber (spare bedroom that says 65f ambient when the vents are closed).

I rehydrate all my dried yeasts in room temp bottled water. Had an email exchange with Jamil a few years ago where he said yeast viability increases significantly when hydrating in water vs. wort. They are going to rehydrate in one solution or another, right?

I am hoping to minimize the lag for the BRY with rehydration and a good shot of O2 before pitching. But based on results here, I don't plan to be concerned if the BRY lags behind the US05.

I promise I'll take good notes and post my observations/results here as things progress.

Ok. Brewed per plan yesterday. The only real change from the plan was oxygenation. I have somehow misplaced my O2 wand. I did, however, place the pump hose just inside the neck of the Better Bottle, resulting in a good deal of sloshing.

I also wound up a little light in 1 fermenter. It was my first brew on my new system and I boiled a little too vigorously. I am dead on 5 gal in the US05 fermenter and about 4.9 in the BRY97.

Hit 1.060. Estimating about 47IBU. Chilled to 65 f and placed in a room at 62 f ambient. Pitched 1 pack of yeast into each. both yeasts were rehydrated for approximately 20 min in room temperature bottled water They are each fixed with a blow off tube.

This morning, both fermenters are sitting at 64f according to the thermometer strips on the fermenters.

Roughly 12 hrs in, the US05 is beginning to show signs of activity. No krausen but a bubble every so often and signs of positive pressure in the blow off tube.

The BRY97 is dead calm as expected. The fluid in the blow off tube is even with the fluid in the bucket of starsan, telling me no gas is building.

I also noted the color difference between the yeasts, both dried and rehydrated. The 97 was noticeably darker. I also noticed that the 05 seemed to take on water and hydrate more easily. I wonder if this has something to do with the lag some people see with it?

More later as fermentation proceeds.

24 hrs post pitch. US05 is chugging along nicely. Not full rock n roll but it has about an inch of krausen and is bubbling steadily into the blow off.

As of yet, nothing from the BRY97.

Both fermenters reading 65-66f on the therm strips. So far, BRY97 is behaving consistent with what a lot of people have experienced in terms of lag.

Just pitched this yeast on an arrogant bastard clone from AHS. It's been slow to start but has picked up since around 25 hrs. So i will say it's a slow starter. I sure hope it's turns out great. Fermenting @ 67f, starting gravity of 1.074 double pitched

My bry97 stopped active fermentation today after finally starting from pitching last Sunday til Wednesday with no activity. Had no blow off but a consistent bubble every 4 seconds for 4 days. You could set a watch to it.

russrob81 said:
My bry97 stopped active fermentation today after finally starting from pitching last Sunday til Wednesday with no activity. Had no blow off but a consistent bubble every 4 seconds for 4 days. You could set a watch to it.

Edit. Ferm temp was 65f after wed. Low 60s before then moved to warmer part of house

Latest posts

Back