Floating Troob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjam

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

OK, my first batch has been in primary for 4 hours. When I first put it in there it looked like everyone elses. Then out of no where it appears my troob (I think that is the name for the junk on the bottom of the carboy) is floating and around it is this stringy looking stuff. Check out the pictures. Is this normal?

Beer is a pale ale, at 76 degrees, 4 hours into fermentation. You can see the troob floating and right below the fermometer is the stringy stuff that is attached to the side of the carboy.

001.jpg

002.jpg

That would be the kreusen. It just means your beer is fermenting. Stuff will settle at the bottom, but it has only been 4 hours. It'll be fine.

Thank you. My wife is laughing at me, but I equate it to this:

When I found out that we were going to have our first child our first thoughts were, "I hope it's not mentally challenged or deformed." Now with brewing my first beer I am staring at it thinking, "I hope I didn't mess it up somehow!"

Time to go drink some store beer to calm myself until my home brew is complete.

nickjam said:
When I found out that we were going to have our first child our first thoughts were, "I hope it's not mentally challenged or deformed." Now with brewing my first beer I am staring at it thinking, "I hope I didn't mess it up somehow!"

I had these exact same feelings with my first brew two weeks ago. My airlock wasn't bubbling (air leakage and a plastic fermenter so i didn't see anything inside) and I felt like somebody with a new baby thats not eating or its crapping too much

Being the proud new owner of a bouncing baby (car)boy, the worst is yet to come. When you realize everything is going along as planned and now you have to wait weeks to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Back