Wake-n-bake Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azterik

Reaction score
Planning on a Wake-n-bake clone sunday 10/9/2011. Not too worried about coffee right now, but might add a few ounces to the mash too.

16 Lbs 2-Row
.5-1 Lb Oats Flaked
.5-1 Lb Barley Flaked
.5 Roasted Barley
.5 Chocolate
.5 Crystal 77
.25 Coffee
.25 BP

Probablly going to throw all the oats in and maybe some of the flaked barley.
Any suggestions/ideas? The specialties are set in stone so variation in the flaked is the only option as of now. Thanks!

I would suggest a cold infusion of the coffee if you want a more balanced and present coffee note. Also, make sure the oats are already gelatinized.

Well its been in the primary for 8 days now tested a sample at 3 days and it was around 1.040. I hit a lil high at 1.092 from not sparging enough but my last batch was a bit dry/bitter from tannins so I played it safe this time. It tasted wonderful and was very smooth with no hotness! Prob will leave it in for 2+ weeks and then rack to secondary for coffee and a bit of clearing. So now the question is on to the coffee. Im using whole beans so should i just use a rolling pin/plastic bag or my coffee grinder on a coarse setting or just whole beans and let it age longer on them? Also I plan on letting this one age for at least 2-3 months before the first one is popped (bottling in 22 & 25 ozers), so would 8 oz be too much for 4.5 or 4 gallons? (Might bottle a few without coffee when racking for comparison purposes) Thanks ;)

Sorry about the delay, but I had some complications with bottling. Unfortunately the yeast I added during bottling wasnt even enough to carb. There has been noted problems with using these barrels (and barrels in general) and trying to bottle. I will be adding some more yeast to each bottle and recapping as this is probably the only viable method without hurting them too much. Fortunately I did a close replica to this one after it but without using the barrel. The first batch hit the high side around 9% abv @ 4 gallons and the 2nd on the low side around 7% @ 6.5 gallons. Factoring in this and drinking the 2nd 7% beer now, I would add even more coffee and maybe more oatmeal.

Listening to a podcast by spike of terrapin I followed their method of just transfering the beer on top of freshly ground coffee beans. They only left theirs on for 48hrs then transfered, where I left it for 5 days. It needs more coffee. I prob didnt add enough though so I might try some more next time.

Overall a good recipe, where coffee should be the focus.

2nd batch used instead
.5 coffee malt
1oz chocolate
1oz roasted

Back