American Wheat Beer American Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SA - 05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Light and refreshing.
A friend gave me a mason jar of fresh honey and of course I wasn't going to spread it on some toast. I've been wanting to brew a simple light summer/lawn mower beer, so this should fit the bill. I added the wheat flour with the hopes of clouding up the beer but since it was kegged, 1 ounce obviously wasn't enough. It's crystal clear. Since I can't stand the cloves of Hefe yeast a neutral American ale yeast was a must.

6 Gallon Batch

5# American 2-Row
5# Wheat Malt
8oz Fresh Honey (5 Min)
1oz Wheat Flour (5 Min)

1oz Tettnang 5.1% (75 Min)

1 Pkg. SA-05 Dry Yeast

Mash @ 152 for 60 Min
Batch Sparge.

wheat.jpg

This recipe looks sound, but do ya think it would work with kolsch yeast?I was planning on doing a very similar recipe with out the honey and using my harvested kolsch yeast.

I just brewed an American Hefeweizen the last two weekends, we added 2oz heather tips at the beginning of the boil and it made for a nice subtle floral aroma and flavor that meshed well with the pretty neutral hef flavor..

I only had the one ounce of hops....so to get the IBUs I wanted, I had to lengthen the boil/hop addition. So, if you want to adjust your hop amounts to accommodate the bitterness, then no problem with a 60 minute boil.

Any reason not to do a full 10# of wheat malt? I've made two hefe's before on other people's recipes but I've got a 10# bag I need to use....

You need some malt to help convert the sugars out of the wheat. From the Beersmith site:

Wheat lacks key nutrients and enzymes needed for proper conversion of sugars during mashing, so malted wheat is always combined with barley malt to provide enzymes for mashing and fermentation, often at a mix of between 40 and 60% wheat.

Some people have had success using a combination of malted wheat and unmalted wheat. I dunno... But, I think more importantly, there are enough rice hulls in the world to make my MLT do an only wheat brew. I'd have a stuck sparge for sure.

thanks for the recipe, what efficiency are you running? mine is pretty **** (>65%) and managed to hit 1.048 pre-yeast. Still, smells good and I'm looking forward to it, I also used 500g honey which I think is about double (~2oz)

Had a gravity reading/taster after 13 days just now, I think the honey is more noticeable than it should be but not totally overpowering. Didn't have much of a nose (probably due to 75min hop boil) but I can tell this is going to be a nice drinking-in-the-sun backyard beer. Will probably report back after 3 weeks conditioning.

so I used too much honey and it's a bit sickening. Will this condition out (currently at 3 weeks) or do I write this batch off?

so I used too much honey and it's a bit sickening. Will this condition out (currently at 3 weeks) or do I write this batch off?

Sickening? Typically most of it will ferment out, is it sweet or just too much "honey" flavor. How much did u use.

This recipe tasted FANTASTIC coming out of my bottling bucket. Can't wait for it to carb. Very clear when bottling.

I left out the wheat flour and added more honey, did a 4 gallon batch with 12oz of honey.

Other than that, what a simple recipe. SWMBO was very impressed at her taste out of the bucket too.

Will come back with pics after carb.

Thanks for such an easy recipe.

This recipe tasted FANTASTIC coming out of my bottling bucket. Can't wait for it to carb. Very clear when bottling.

I left out the wheat flour and added more honey, did a 4 gallon batch with 12oz of honey.

Other than that, what a simple recipe. SWMBO was very impressed at her taste out of the bucket too.

Will come back with pics after carb.

Thanks for such an easy recipe.

Any word on this. Wanting to do a high honey batch myself. Thinking 1lb for 5 gallon batch and no wheat flower, but keep everything else the same. Wanted to know how yours came out.

Any word on this. Wanting to do a high honey batch myself. Thinking 1lb for 5 gallon batch and no wheat flower, but keep everything else the same. Wanted to know how yours came out.
I just did a honey hef with 1# wildflower honey (not a mod of this recipe). It came out mega-sweet, but as with anything YMMV. I'm okay with a bit of sweetness, my wife loves it.

Fermented for 16 days, was still bubbling.. I could probably leave it for a couple more days next time.

Back