And now.... The Wait!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Well I finally got to making a mead!! all went pretty well for my first homebrew attempt.. I used 15lbs of honey for a 5.5 gal batch so I could get a semi-sweet mead. Starting gravity (after temp correction) was 1.095 which doesn't seem as high as I thought it would be.. I used Lalvin k1-v1116 yeast and about 4.5 gal of bottled water plus my yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. So all and all I think I did okay.. My only obvious mistake (I am sure I made some that wern't obvious to me) was while putting the airlock in the lid of the plastic primary fermenter.. the little black rubber grommet got pushed into the mead.. I hoped that it would float but it didn't.. I got another grommet on and everything is good now.. I just hope that rubber grommet doesn't cause any problems. Only time will tell!! And now I can't wait to try some.
Thanks to all that have answerd my questions on here previously.. and wish me luck!!

Spamdog

The Wait - my melomel has been going at a rock solid 4 bpm for four weeks, after taking 10 days to start.

One of the more experienced mead makers around here told me for his next batch he was just going to pour the honey in the fermenter, add the starter & top off. Not even mix it.

I had no problem with it starting.. after about 2.5 to 3 hrs (after cleaning up and eating dinner) I went to check on it and it was at about 3-4bmp so I am happy over all.. In order to put it out of my mind I am now deciding on what I want to make next.

SpamDog

Back