Priming sugar vs. carbonation drops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm5171988

Reaction score
I have never used carbonation drops and would lke to hear peoples opinions on priming sugar vs. carboation drops. Which provides better carbonation?

carb tabs are pre-measured but lock you into specific carbonation levels depending on how many you put in the bottle. some brands of carb tabs don't dissolve all the way and can leave floaters in your beer. with the tabs you can be sure each bottle gets the same amount of priming and same carbonation in the end.

with priming sugar you can hit any level of carbonation you want. you just need to do the math. i have heard of some people having a hard time getting priming sugar to mix evenly with their beer and getting inconsistent carbonation.

I used Carb drops for the first time a few weeks ago and was kind of impressed with them, carb wise. I had bottled for NHC and still had some beer in the keg so I got to try the same beer side by side - I felt the drops added a bit of sweet/mouthfeel to the beer. The bittering hops on the draft version came through more. But that could have been user error somehow. Anyway, if I HAVE to carb again I'll use the drops over sugar just for ease of use.

I have used both methods successfully. Carb drops work and are easy but expensive compared to bulk priming with sugar. Bulk priming give you more control over the amount of carbonation as you can adjust easier. I prefer bulk priming to the drops over all. If you do decide to use carb drops I highly recommend you use the coopers drops. They do not leave floaties in your brew like the muntons carb tabs do.

I used the the Munton's Carb tabs on a few beers to try it out. Like Toga said "floaties" Sucks when someone that is new to drinking homebrew grabs one of your bottles out of the fridge, and asks what the stuff floating in the bottle is. Some how they just aren't as interested anymore. I haven't tried Cooper's Carb tabs yet.

Now I use priming sugar if I am going to bottle some beer. Also plan ahead and do a 10 gallon batch. 5 gallons goes in kegs and then you get to bottle 2 cases!! But I have had great results with the priming sugar. Plus it is cheaper!

I've used Coopers to carb up a few bottles of apfelwein when I wanted to leave the rest as a still wine. Worked great and no floaties, but for more than a few bottles I always bulk prime with corn sugar. Never had any problems getting it mixed with my beer and I always get a good, consistent carb at whatever level I choose.

I have used the coopers, with o.k. results.The muntons carb tabs leave nasty looking floaters.The best resluts I have had was with 3/4 cup of corn sugar mixed in with batch.Will not go back to carb drops.If I ever start kegging(maybe fathers day gift) I will just put a teaspoon and a half in my 1 liter bottles. Alot cheaper as well.

Back