Chest Freezer Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hi I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 kenmore chest freezer for 150 dollars, delivery included as i don't have a tuck. The model number is 253.10311002. I just want to know if this is a good deal as i want to control the temperature of my beer. The only reason i ask is because i was looking for a fridge that i found for 100 bucks and he also had this freezer sitting there. So i am under the impression that I just buy a temperature control hook it up and it should work fine right? Am i over simplifying this or is it really that easy. I have not spent too much time looking into it as you can tell i just thought i would ask everyone's advice and then look more into it as i don't want a good deal to pass me by when it is something that i eventually wanted to do in the future. Thanks Daniel

... i don't want a good deal to pass me by ....

150 bucks for a 9 yo chest freezer doesn't like a steal to me?? You need a temp controller to use a freezer for brewing. I use a "ranco" single stage, available shipped for about 50 bucks "unwired". Figure 30 bucks more if you want plug and play.

so this not a good deal? I should just let this one pass and look again later. Is 9 years too old for this type of appliance? How long do chest freezers last?

so this not a good deal? I should just let this one pass and look again later. Is 9 years too old for this type of appliance? How long do chest freezers last?

They can last 30 years, or die 2 hours after you plug them. If you think it's a good deal grab it. I can do better here, but im not in San Diego.:mug:

My conditioning freezer is a 74' model I bought from a little old lady for $35, she was the original owner, and still had the manual!

Yea sorry ddrayne, it is heavily geographical, in jersey used freezers and fridges are a dime a dozen or free...delivery alone is worth something...a deal for you, go for it if you are happy:mug:

Thanks guys for the responses, I think I am going to hold off on buying it. I think I just needed some time to think it over and there are a few newish ones on craigslist for around 250 so I just need to hold my horses and find a better deal. It was almost an impulse buy cause i got a nice fridge for 100 including delivery which I am turning into a keggerator. I'll post pictures of that later. Thanks again.

Compare the size of what you're looking at to a new one. Small ones that hold 4 cornies can be bought new for a couple hundred... If it will hold 7 or 8, for 150, yeah, that's a deal!

Back