what is a good yeast to use for IPA or a high OG brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i used us-05 for my IPA. the OG was 1.067. ive have some mixed discussion now with folks that maybe this was not enough or appropriate. either because i should have rehydrated it or i should have pitched more than on 11.5g packet or i should have used different yeast. others are saying that it should be fine and im just paranoid about my brew. the airlock only bubbled away for about 48 hours. i understand the airlock is not a gauge for fermentation, but i dont feel like using a hydrometer for another week at least. so i guess what im asking is my brew gonna be legit w/ the one packet of us-05? should i have rehydated? ive never done it and actually heard some storys of fermentation not happening and having to repitch. what is the most appropriate yeast to use for an IPA or high OG brew? ive never used liquid and not really sure exactly how you use it. ive just sprinkled us-05 on my lower OG brews and had no problems...

You should be fine with US-05, it'll get the FG down pretty well. Mr. Malty's calculator will probably say to use 2+ packs to get the best results, but using one isn't going to ruin your beer.

While using a starter is always recommended, and rehydrating dry yeast would probably help it to take off faster, I've made plenty of batches just sprinkling the US-05 or other dry yeast into the wort (some of them around your OG range). They all turned out fine, so don't worry about this batch.

US-05 is a pretty neutral yeast, so I personally think it's fine for an IPA, as it'll let the hop flavor/bitterness come through easier (though someone needs to back me up on this).

With liquid yeast, you pretty much just shake up the vial or smack the package, and then either dump it in the wort (lazy method) or dump it in a starter solution so that the yeast can multiply (better option). Then when you're ready to brew a few days later, you can dump the now multiplied yeasties from the starter into the wort. It should take off faster and lead to less nail-biting, as well as producing a generally better beer.

You should be fine with US-05, it'll get the FG down pretty well. Mr. Malty's calculator will probably say to use 2+ packs to get the best results, but using one isn't going to ruin your beer.

While using a starter is always recommended, and rehydrating dry yeast would probably help it to take off faster, I've made plenty of batches just sprinkling the US-05 or other dry yeast into the wort (some of them around your OG range). They all turned out fine, so don't worry about this batch.

US-05 is a pretty neutral yeast, so I personally think it's fine for an IPA, as it'll let the hop flavor/bitterness come through easier (though someone needs to back me up on this).

With liquid yeast, you pretty much just shake up the vial or smack the package, and then either dump it in the wort (lazy method) or dump it in a starter solution so that the yeast can multiply (better option). Then when you're ready to brew a few days later, you can dump the now multiplied yeasties from the starter into the wort. It should take off faster and lead to less nail-biting, as well as producing a generally better beer.

cool, can you recommend a good liquid yeast for APA'S OR IPA'S?

The most appropriate yeast is the one that gives you the desired flavors. One packet of US-05 should be enough yeast for the stated OG, (the ideal pitching rate is not too far off at only 1.1 packets). While re-hydrating is reccomended, it's not absolutely neccesary, and simply allows the yeast to get ready to do their job, and helps prevent them from getting stressed going into the wort. 48 hrs of vigorous fermentation is pretty common, especially with quicker attenuating yeasts (like US-05) or when used at slightly higher temperatures. What temperature are you fermenting at ?(the beer temp, not the ambient temp)

The most appropriate yeast is the one that gives you the desired flavors. One packet of US-05 should be enough yeast for the stated OG, (the ideal pitching rate is not too far off at only 1.1 packets). While re-hydrating is reccomended, it's not absolutely neccesary, and simply allows the yeast to get ready to do their job, and helps prevent them from getting stressed going into the wort. 48 hrs of vigorous fermentation is pretty common, especially with quicker attenuating yeasts (like US-05) or when used at slightly higher temperatures. What temperature are you fermenting at ?(the beer temp, not the ambient temp)

ahh, i forgot to get a liquid crystal thermometer so im kinda in the dark on the fermenting temp. my house is hanging in temps between 60-70 and i have a blanket wrapped around the fermenter. the brew was about 74 when pitched the yeast. im thinking now maybe fermentaion is just finishing quicker than usual...

While the one packet of yeast might be enough, why not pitch 2 if you are ever unsure. Dry yeast is cheap enough. Also, look in to some yeast nutrient as it is pretty cheap and will help your attenuation. I under pitched my last IPA (also probably under oxygenated) and ended up with a %4.5 ABV beer. Super tasty but not what I was looking (or paid) for.

While the one packet of yeast might be enough, why not pitch 2 if you are ever unsure. Dry yeast is cheap enough. Also, look in to some yeast nutrient as it is pretty cheap and will help your attenuation. I under pitched my last IPA (also probably under oxygenated) and ended up with a %4.5 ABV beer. Super tasty but not what I was looking (or paid) for.

ouch on the 4.5, what was your OG and yeast you used? i figured it was so close according to mr. maltys pitching calculator that it wouldnt matter. us-05 seems to be pretty good through prior batches...

Back