Help! over carbed beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamsccn

Reaction score
So I have 30 people coming over tomorrow and boost carbed an IPA thursday, I disconnected my other two kegs set at 30psi for 12 hours. came back shook it a bit bled off the co2 then re attached all kegs at 10 psi. today all kegs are way over carbed despite the regulator still says 10psi. I know I should have set it at 10 and left it but I'm inpatient. is there anyway to get the carb down in one day? Is it even possible or should I go buy a case of beer and leave them alone for a few weeks at 8psi?

BTW my kegerator is around 37F

Guess we will find out. Pull the gas from keg, bleed it and come and bleed it every hour.

Don't reconnect until the beer is the way you want it. Use the head space pressure to pour with. Another thing you can try: pull and turn the relief valve and hang it up in the open position for 30 minutes. Then seal it and wait 30 more and pour and taste.

Dude, I think I have serious Man-Love for this thread. I have been fighting the issue of overcarbed beer with my last three kegs and I just tried this out. It works! I have been so frustrated the past couple weeks I have been about at wits end trying to solve the "too much-too little carb issue. This is why I read these forums. Thanks for sharing this video, gswartley!!

I think I might have to try that I have pinlock kegs so its gonna be a little more work but hopefully works

That's what I was going to suggest doing, except switching the lines instead of just putting the gas fitting on the liquid post. Putting the wrong QD's on the wrong posts is bad for the o-rings and the QD's. Since you have pinlocks, you'll be forced to do it the "right" way.

JuanMoore said:
That's what I was going to suggest doing, except switching the lines instead of just putting the gas fitting on the liquid post. Putting the wrong QD's on the wrong posts is bad for the o-rings and the QD's. Since you have pinlocks, you'll be forced to do it the "right" way.

I switched the posts it worked like a charm they need to sticky that video. Hopefully everything settles back to the bottom by this afternoon.

All the beers were perfectly carbed today, all the guests loved the beers. It was the first time i had a lot of people trying my beer and they all kept coming back for more. Thanks for the video!

What did I do wrong? I followed the video step by step, the only difference being my corny doesn't have a release valve so I had to release the pressure through the gas in valve. A little beer came out the first time, the second time I got a guyser. It didn't bubble through the beer out line as long either. My beer is just as foamy as before. Any thoughts?

hightpt said:
What did I do wrong? I followed the video step by step, the only difference being my corny doesn't have a release valve so I had to release the pressure through the gas in valve. A little beer came out the first time, the second time I got a guyser. It didn't bubble through the beer out line as long either. My beer is just as foamy as before. Any thoughts?

The video does a poor job of explaining the process IMO. You need to be letting gas bubble up through the beer out diptube for several seconds while there's no pressure in the keg. If you can't hold the pressure relief valve open to keep the pressure off, you can loosen the gas post, crack the lid, or hold down the gas poppet. You may also need to let the keg settle for an hour or two afterwards before it will pour well.

Back