Accidental boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctopusInk

Reaction score
I was steeping grains for my brown ale and it was holding at around 155 degrees, and I guess my stove was a little hotter than I thought and when I came back after 10 minutes or so the water was slightly boiling. What will this do to the overall taste of the finished product?

I can't imagine that you had any serious boil going if it was 155 degrees only 10 minutes before. Overheating the grains can bring out some stronger flavors, but I bet you don't have any real problems with this batch.

I wouldn't sweat it at all. Carry on as if everything was fine, and it will be.
Like mlanoue said, the flavor may be a little stronger, but it will still be good beer.

Thanks
I wasn't going to dump it or anything, I just knew that hotter watter brings out more tannins (sp?) and may give off an acidic flavor. Just wondered if anyone else had this happen. At 4 weeks fermenting it smells like Duck-Rabbit Brown Ale. ...mmmm, Duck Rabbit.

i had this same problem with an imperial stout that i made.
probably lost some mash efficiency (due to - most likely - killing off a few enzymes), but it was still a damn tasty beer.

Back