Czech Premium Pale Lager Czechmate Pilsner (Bohemian Pilsner AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager
Yeast Starter
Yes (Lager Pitch Rate)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Fermented at 50 F until around 1.020 then raised to 66 F for 4 day Diacetyl Rest
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
Lagered at 32-34 F for 30 days in keg
Tasting Notes
Balanced malt and hop flavor with floral and spicy notes. Very clean and refreshing
This recipe started as a classic Bohemian Style Pilsner until I realized during the boil that I was short on Saaz hops for my recipe. I improvised and utilized Hallertau hops that I had left over and was very satisfied with the final product. This is the reason for two different AA hops at 60 minutes.

I have found after 30 days lagering and an additional week in the keezer at kegging temperatures that this is a very clean and refreshing lager. The 35 IBU's make it a little more balanced and crisp compared to some other Bohemian Lagers that are around 40-45 IBU's but it is still well within style with 35 IBU's.

I brewed this using BIAB method with a small sparge volume due to equipment limitations and based the grain bill off of 80% efficiency.

Grain Bill:

8 lb Weyermann Pilsner Malt

8 oz Briess Carapils (for head retention)

Water Profile:

Ca: 47

Mg: 4

Na: 8

SO4: 2

Cl: 73

HCO3: 34

60 Minute Step Mash:

Mash in: 145 F for 20 minutes

Step: 158 F for 30 minutes

Mash out: 168 F for 10 minutes

Sparge: 168 F

90 Minute Boil:

1.1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.2% @ 60 Minutes (18.5 IBU's)

0.4 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 3.0% @ 60 Minutes (4.8 IBU's)

1.0 oz Saaz 3.1% @ 30 Minutes (9.5 IBU's)

1.0 oz Saaz 3.1% @ 5 Minutes (2.5) IBU's)

1/2 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 5 Minutes

*Note: To adjust for your hops AA, just aim for around 23 IBU's from the 60 minute Hallertau addition and then the rest from the Saaz additions to get 35 IBU's.

Post Boil:

Chill to 50F, aerate, pitch yeast @ 50 F.

After beer has reached around 1.020 SG raise temperature to 66 F for Diacetyl Rest and let sit for 3-4 days.

After Diacetyl Rest rack to keg and lager for 30 days as close to 32 F as possible. If you prefer to fine with gelatin as I did, add gelatin after one day of sitting at lagering temperature.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465698023.914169.jpg

The reason Pilsner Uquell can get away with such high IBU's is because of how soft their water is in Plsen. Harder water accentuates hop bitterness that's why the German Pils has the lower IBU's. I too have recently made a Pilsner Urquell style beer and I used all Saaz but knowing my water is much harder I lowered the IBU's and it turned how very good. One of my favorite beers!

Yes and this turned out fantastic and gets better every day!

Highly recommend to anyone who is wanting to do their first lager and doesn't want to step up to a decoction mash right away. Very solid beer.

20200723_174959_HDR.jpg

Used this recipe but used all saaz. Very nice. Thanks

I’m thinking about using this as my first attempt at a pills.
I’ll more than likely do a 2.5 gallon to start with and see how it goes ,
Thanks for sharing the recipe ,,,,,

Latest posts

Back