CO2 tank outside fridge - regualtor inside fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Is this possible? I have a dual pressure reg coming and I'd rather not have to have multiple lines coming going into the fridge if the reg is outside.

But what kind if coupler would I need? to allow this?

I'd rather not put a 20lb CO2 tank in the fridge since this will eliminate one more corney I can fit.

Thanks all.

I'd suspect that it's going to be most cost effective to put two Co2 lines into the fridge and then build your manifold inside to split it more if you need.

Ummm .... why not just have one line going in from the main regulator to a secondary regulator mounted inside the fridge if you're worried about having serveral different pressures.

srm775 said:
Ummm .... why not just have one line going in from the main regulator to a secondary regulator mounted inside the fridge if you're worried about having serveral different pressures.

Because the dual presure reg is a single piece not something that can be taken apart as two pieces.

Maybe you could have a second single gauge regulator outside the fridge feeding a dual pressure regulator inside. Keep the outside one at 30psi or so and then dial it down with the regulators inside the fridge.

A single gauge regulator is only around $30, half the price of that high pressure hose you posted earlier.

ghart999 said:
Because the dual presure reg is a single piece not something that can be taken apart as two pieces.

I think he means, use a single output regulator, 1 line into the kegerator, then use secondary regs inside, or a manifold, to split the lines on the inside.

return the one you got, or resell it in classifieds?

The problem with your initial idea is that you won't find tubing that can safely handle 800 psi bottle pressure. you'll need a primary regulator as others have already noted.

ghart999 said:

Yes, it can be. They are just two regulators daisy-chained together, however that's not the point. I said to buy a regular single regulator and then secondary regulators (different piece of equipment) and mount those inside the kegerator. Secondary regulators can also be expanded and daisy-chained together.

You'll have one single regulator (set to about 35 psi) on the outside connected to the tank. One airline going into the keggerator connecting to the bank of secondary regulators. Those secondary regulators are set to whatever pressure you want them to be set to and each of them will have a low-pressure (0-60) psi guage, check valve and line out to each keg.

I am leaving one regulator on my tank and putting two inside with one of these 1/4" MFL Bulkheads from AHB $9.99

This MFL bulkhead can be used to store a CO2 tank outside of your kegerator. Drill a hole in the door of the kegerator and install this 4" long bulkhead. Use the air line and FFL fittings to attach the tank, but now it can be stored outside. Leaving more room inside for stuff.

mflbulkhead.jpg

Thanks all. That makes perfect sense to me now.

NOw this is the reg I ordered for $73 total.

2Pressure12F.jpg

Can I still use this inside the fridge and then use a single like this?

CO2Reg_Thumb.jpg

Or can I not use two regs that each have a gauge for tank pressure?

Seems the cost of two secondaries like this are the same price as the dual pressure reg above. Thanks again.

5261SN_Thumb.jpg

ghart999 said:
Thanks all. That makes perfect sense to me now.

NOw this is the reg I ordered for $73 total.

Or can I not use two regs that each have a gauge for tank pressure?

Seems the cost of two secondaries like this are the same price as the dual pressure reg above. Thanks again.

5261SN_Thumb.jpg

Well, you don't really need additional guages for tank pressure, and I'm not even sure if they'd work (they're unreliable at best to begin with). You can use the dual guage inside if you'd like. But I would really suggest returning it and getting the secondary regulators. The body of the regulator is $6 at American Science Surplus, a 0-60 psi guage is $6-$7 and a check valve is about $7. So you can get a secondary dual guage for about $40 and it's completely expandable. Add more kegs, add another regulator body, guage and valve and you're all set.

You can use those pieces. The "tank" guage on the secondary regs will just read zero, but who cares. Actually, you could remove that gauge and plug the hole, or daisy chain yet another secondary regulator in that port if you wanted 3 different pressures;)

shafferpilot said:
You can use those pieces. The "tank" guage on the secondary regs will just read zero, but who cares. Actually, you could remove that gauge and plug the hole, or daisy chain yet another secondary regulator in that port if you wanted 3 different pressures;)

That might be a little impractical, because you could only set the secondary regulator for less than the initial regulator. So, if you're using the initial regulator for serving at 8 psi, then you could only have the secondary at 8 psi or less. In which case you might as well just "T" the initial gas outline. Of course, if you're using the initial one for force carbing at 30psi then you can certainly dial down the secondary body to whatever you like.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I should just stick with what I have and just run two lines into the fridge. Not a big deal right.

If I return it I have to pay restocking and lose out on a 10% discount on a $300 order I already placed. So it would cost me like $45 to return it.

srm775 said:
That might be a little impractical, because you could only set the secondary regulator for less than the initial regulator. So, if you're using the initial regulator for serving at 8 psi, then you could only have the secondary at 8 psi or less. In which case you might as well just "T" the initial gas outline. Of course, if you're using the initial one for force carbing at 30psi then you can certainly dial down the secondary body to whatever you like.

Not true. The "tank" guage port is not governed by that regulator. Perhaps I was not being specific enough. Here we go.

The dual regulator you already ordered can be used inside the fridge. The second regulator in your post is used on the tank to drop the tank pressure 800psi down to something the tubing can handle 30 to 60 psi. If you wanted to add a third pressure regulator inside the fridge, just use the port where the "tank" pressure guage is currently mounted. That port will be recieving the full 30 to 60 psi that i just mentioned. Even if that regulator is turned down to 5psi, the "tank" pressure port will still be getting 30 to 60 psi.

Of course your last statement about running two hoses into the fridge also works, it's just not as clean. And if you wanted a third pressure, you would be running yet another line into the fridge.... having said that, I can't imagine why you would need a third pressure, but maybe someday you'll want style specific carbonation levels in each of your beers.

Well I have found a few high pressure hoses that can handle 1000 psi. They are $60. We'll see.....

When are they going to have wireless beer and gas lines.

SuperiorBrew said:
I am leaving one regulator on my tank and putting two inside with one of these 1/4" MFL Bulkheads from AHB $9.99

This MFL bulkhead can be used to store a CO2 tank outside of your kegerator. Drill a hole in the door of the kegerator and install this 4" long bulkhead. Use the air line and FFL fittings to attach the tank, but now it can be stored outside. Leaving more room inside for stuff.

mflbulkhead.jpg

Sorry to steal a small section of this post. Why do you need this if you have a regulator on your tank. I would think a standard(30psi) hose should be sufficient. Unless you don't like a hose running through the sharp metal of the door.

Well I went ahead and purchased two of these.

mflbulkhead.jpg

Found them from weekendbrewer.com for $6.25 each. NOt bad.

Back