Brine using Liquid Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorNutz

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster. I'm new to brewing, but am a seasoned griller/smoker (pardon the pun).

Anyway, I smoke a lot of pork shoulders (Boston Butt) and typically brine them with Molasses and Pickling Salt. Well, I finished my 2nd homebrew yesterday (A New Belgium Fat Tire clone...one of my favorite beers and not available in Georgia) which used Alexander's Pale LME, and I thought, "hmm, I wonder what would happen if I used LME for my brine instead of Molasses."

So, has anyone out there used LME in a brine? If so, how is it? I'm thinking about using an Alexander's "Kicker" of Pale LME (1.4lbs) for a 6-8lb shoulder. Possibly trying some Dark Belgian Candi Syrup as well.

Thanks!

Hey, did you ever try this?

I had the same Idea myself and just wondering how it might work.

Hey, did you ever try this?

I had the same Idea myself and just wondering how it might work.

I did, and it turned out very well. I could definitely catch a hint of malt flavor in the outer surface areas of the smoked shoulder, which was my goal (I prefer Malt over all other things :D). I would recommend using a darker malt extract (DME if necessary). The Pale worked well, but I think the dark may have more complexity.

Molasses works well too, and is probably more "complex", but I like Malt.

One thing...dry to let the shoulder dry out for about an hour or two after removing it from the brine. I found this allows the shoulder to accept more smoke flavor.

Thanks for the responses.

Molasses is a great flavor in brines (alone or in brown sugar), but the flavor can get little muddy or overpowering too.

I'll try DME when I get a chance.

Been a while, but I thought I'd come back to report that I use DME in ALL of my brines now with pork shoulder!! Well, I actually try to use un-hopped LME because it's easier to handle.

I also created a BBQ sauce using LME...great as well!

I use LME in BBQ sauce instead of molasses or honey all the time. Works great! Maltier flavour & the LME doesn't carbonize quite as quickly as the other sugars. I like to use unhopped amber LME. I've tried the dark & it can be a little too strong if you add too much; the light LME doesn't really add much discernable flavour IMHO.

My fav is to mix KC Masterpiece mesquite BBQ sauce with an equal portion of unhopped LME, along with some secret herbs & spices & use that to sauce the meat, usually chicken or pork, but it works well with beef too.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back