Corny keg leaky presure valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finchlake

Reaction score
Corny kegs leaky presure valve

I read through the sticky and didn't see the answer to this question.

I replaced the O-rings on the popett valves and the lid. I'm lossing presure around the presure relief valve on the lid. I didn't get anything in the rebuild kit to fix this.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or point me in the right direction to find the information?

I have one that I couldn't fix... turns out the plastic ones get VERY brittle. Mine actually cracked where the threads end and is useless. I've thought about just plugging the hole. My kegs only see 30psi anyhow. I'd love to find new relief valves though.

-J

miatawnt2b said:
I have one that I couldn't fix... turns out the plastic ones get VERY brittle. Mine actually cracked where the threads end and is useless. I've thought about just plugging the hole. My kegs only see 30psi anyhow. I'd love to find new relief valves though.

-J
You can buy them online and LHBS.

OK, I went to More Beer site and yes they are there, $8.50 each. I wish I had bought a couple when I ordered the O-rings.

From the picture it looks like they unscrew. Like you say, I'm going to take it apart and try to clean it first.

I will have a couple of spares when I make my next order. Ordering them by themselfs, the postage is almost as much as the valve.

What about keg lube, is there anythink I can buy local that will work?

FSR402 said:
You can buy them online and LHBS.

The plastic ones mia's talking about are old Firestones I have been unable to find any online. If someone is now stocking them give me a link please.

finchlake said:
OK, I went to More Beer site and yes they are there, $8.50 each. I wish I had bought a couple when I ordered the O-rings.

From the picture it looks like they unscrew. Like you say, I'm going to take it apart and try to clean it first.

I will have a couple of spares when I make my next order. Ordering them by themselfs, the postage is almost as much as the valve.

What about keg lube, is there anythink I can buy local that will work?

Sounds to me like you are buying the entire pressure relief valve assembly. Like Bobby stated you may only need the little rubber piece should be less than $0.50 I'd think.

Can you actually replace that little piece?

Word of warning on the valve before you order new ones. I would switch the poppit with another in a known working lid if you can. That will determine if you have a bad poppit or lid. I have a lid with scoring on the safety seat, and a new poppit won't fix that.

I've been out working on the leakey valve this morning, putting your suggestions to use.

1. I made a container of sanitory soap and pulled the lid apart and washed the poppit. I took a rag and twisted it up and tried to clean the inside of the valve body.

2. Put it back together, presured it up. Still leaks. ( Used soap solution to test for leak).

3. Repeated this three times, same results.

4. Tried MRx suggestion. Pulled poppit out of good keg and placed it in leakey keg.
No leak.

5. Pulled good poppit out and put it back in good keg.

6. Put old poppit back in old keg. No leak:confused:

7. checked good keg to make sure I didn't switch them, No leak

I do not understand what happened

I am going to include a extry in my next order for a standby.

Also check my valve, I would not be able to order just the rubber piece, It is all molded together.

Back