Is my first ever scoby okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkartoom

Reaction score
Hi I need some advice with the progress on my first attempt brewing/making a scoby. I used some directions that called for a starter with some black tea, plain white sugar, and the bottom half of a GT Original Kombucha for starter. That went into my gallon jar then into the closet, and about 8-9 days later I had a beautiful 1/8" scoby floating on top.

My directions said at this point I would need to feed it again, and to transfer it to a bigger jar when doing so. I doubled the recipe to begin with not wanting to start my scoby in a smaller jar and then have to transfer it to the gallon jar. So to feed it again I just made up some more sweet tea per the directions and added it to the existing jar with the scoby. Seemed to make sense to me.

Since doing that the scoby has remained in the middle of the tea. That was 3 days ago and I thought it may rise to the top, but it hasn't. I didn't really mix the 2nd batch of tea with the first, I just poured in over the 1st and the scoby. That pushed the scoby down and it may be a gravity thing that's keeping it mid level in the tea, but being a newb at this I have no idea if it's fine or if I should intervene in some way. Things were looking great up until now., or so I thought.

Anyone advise if this is okay or not?

You should be fine.. Mine will be all over the place sometimes. A new scoby will form on top if the current one is floating around. :)

Back