Am I going to get bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull3tmagn3t

Reaction score
I started making a hard cider two weeks ago from apple juice, cran/raspberry juice and brown sugar. The fermentation isn't going as rapidly of virulently as it was before, but it is still "doing it's thing." Problem is, I need to bottle this stuff come Saturday and I'm scared of having a garage full of busted glass. Is there a way to kill the fermentation without killing the taste? We're going to bottle this stuff in beer bottles, will they support the pressure? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Read Papper's sticky on Stove Top Pasteurization. Also, what yeast did you use? What are your OG and FG readings?

I don't have gravity readings unfortunately. I'll have to take them tomorrow as I can't seem to find my gravity reader. I used Nottingham beer yeast from Danstar.

They sprang this idea up at me with minimal preparation time and wanted large and cheap quantities of booze.

Going on a camping trip next week Tuesday through the following Monday. My thought being, if we bottle Saturday, could it possibly survive through the following week without blowing up?

Well, if you just wanna get drunk with homemade stuff, rack it into a jug with a screw top, and don't tighten it down. The CO2 will still escape, no bombs, and the worst case scenario is that your alcohol will get stronger as the night goes on!

:mug:

Is it tasting decent?

If it is, then yeah, yeah I guess I'd go with NineMilBill's suggestion RE: Papper's tutorial, I've seen it a few times and it looks solid to me.

I wouldn't recommend trying to wait it out. Many times bottles will carb in a few days depending on how fermentation is going. Either bottle it loser to the trip or pasteurize it. The stove top pasteurization isn't bad at all. But take it from me, bottle bombs are no fun. Play it smart with it

If you are done fermenting and bottle saturday, and go camping on tuesday, it's not really gonna be carbed. If you aren't done fermenting, why bother drinking it?

It hasn't fully completed fermenting. I'd say it's probably a few days to a week shy of dying out, assuming it follows the same time line as the previous time I made it. With 20 gallons of this stuff made, and a week to drink it in, I'm not going for high class, just decent alcohol content. They'll be drinking so much after a few I'm not sure they'll care what it tastes like.

I have a new plan in making cider. Make a lot! Or should I say often. This way there is always some in the secondary, 1 month, 2 months etc. That way I won't be in such a rush to bottle something that might not be ready.

MarkKF - It's called a pipeline - and is probably the best way to keep you and lucky consumers happy throughout the year. Ask me how I know.

:tank:

I wouldn't bottle it. If you really want to drink it you should bring it in a vessel that let's the co2 escape and then feed it with more juice/ juice concentrate in order to sweeten it up. As long as you don't drink most of it before feeding it it will keep fermenting an may be ok to drink (with some residual sweetness) the next day. Although now that I think about it I bet that actively fermenting juice will attract Mosquitos at least, but I wonder about other insects and larger animals. Does fermenting cider attract bears/ raccoons? Last thing you want is a bunch of drunk bears rummaging around your campsite looking for a snack.

you could use plastic soda bottles with screw caps. Each day, give it a gentle squeeze. If it gets rock hard, let out some pressure.

WIMARIPA said:
Last thing you want is a bunch of drunk bears rummaging around your campsite looking for a snack.

Taken out of context this is my favorite quote of the day. If I wasn't drunk it wouldn't be so funny

Back