No collar keezer need a fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alsace

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm broke and i'm trying to set up my first keg system. I have a chest freezer coming for free from mom. It's deep enough I don't need a collar and I don't plan on installing shanks and real faucets for quite some time --i'm just using picnic taps.

Because there is no collar and no shanks/faucets, do you all think I could get away without using a muffin fan to circulate the air?

I know a lot of people believe in the fan, but it seems that the collar and shank situation have a lot to do with making a fan needed.

Thanks!

I use a fan to mix the air inside for my controller to get a better read on the box temp rather than over or under cycling. Adding the fan keeps the temp throughout the box stable.

Has nothing to do with the collar for me.

If it's a decent sized fan it should be fine. Aside from stable temps it should help keep condensation down.

fans stir the air. Otherwise, the cold air will sink. Your probe will only measure the air layer it's in - so for the most even temperature control, you need a fan.

The collar is only for porting the faucets out the front instead of thru a tower, it has nothing to do with the air stratification.

Just to update: I ended up going with a computer fan. The local electronics store helped set me up with a cord that attached to the fan with some quick disconnect things.
All I had to do was take a pair of pliers and crimp it together. I don't have a collar and didn't want to drill through the freezer so the cord just goes out the back of the freezer under the gasket. Doesn't seem to cause any problems of air leakage there.

I was trying to avoid the fan because the wiring sounded over my head but it was so easy and the fan is doing a great job of keeping the temps very even from top to bottom.

Glad everyone pushed me to do the fan. Thanks.

Just to update: I ended up going with a computer fan. The local electronics store helped set me up with a cord that attached to the fan with some quick disconnect things.
All I had to do was take a pair of pliers and crimp it together. I don't have a collar and didn't want to drill through the freezer so the cord just goes out the back of the freezer under the gasket. Doesn't seem to cause any problems of air leakage there.

I was trying to avoid the fan because the wiring sounded over my head but it was so easy and the fan is doing a great job of keeping the temps very even from top to bottom.

Glad everyone pushed me to do the fan. Thanks.

Now, you just need hoard every wall wort transformer you come across.

It's amazing how many uses there are for a small fan. I've rigged several for different things besides my keezer.

You state that you're broke.
Don't waste your money on a fan. Until I saw this thread, I didn't even know people used fans. My keezer doesn't have a fan. The temp probe just "floats" in the middle. I have never had a problem. My beer doesn't go through noticeable fluctuations. NOTE, I'm making a statement about the beer, not the air in the keezer.

I would suggest trying it without the fan, if you find you are having problems get one. Why try to fix something that may not be a problem.

Interesting thought with using a fan to circulate the air. If you are that concerned about even temperature, I would think it would be more important to know what the temperature of the beer is.

If you are that concerned, tape the temp probe to a keg.

Just my two cents.

You state that you're broke.
Don't waste your money on a fan. Until I saw this thread, I didn't even know people used fans. My keezer doesn't have a fan. The temp probe just "floats" in the middle. I have never had a problem. My beer doesn't go through noticeable fluctuations. NOTE, I'm making a statement about the beer, not the air in the keezer.

I would suggest trying it without the fan, if you find you are having problems get one. Why try to fix something that may not be a problem.

Interesting thought with using a fan to circulate the air. If you are that concerned about even temperature, I would think it would be more important to know what the temperature of the beer is.

If you are that concerned, tape the temp probe to a keg.

Just my two cents.

Ummm, he already bought the fan.

Back