Apricot Wheat Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcoots76

Reaction score
I currently have apricot wheat in my secondary. I added puree once I racked in the secondary. It has been sitting for about 2 weeks and I'm getting ready to bottle. There's about 2 inches of puree resting in the bottom. When I rack to the bottling bucket do I leave the puree behind? I tasted some after my last hydrometer reading and it has a good apricot flavor. I'm just not sure if I need to leave the puree behind or syphon that too. Thanks...............Brian

I just brewed a Chimay Blue clone about a week ago. I put my apricot puree into the primary and immediately had second thoughts.... The fruit would probably have added more flavor in the secondary in addition to providing a lot more food for the yeast to munch on.

I had a LOT of sediment in my primary when I racked over the weekend. I left about 90% of it behind... I tasted the beer and it had some apricot flavor, but not as much as I was hoping for.. :(

You don't want any of the puree in your bottles so try to keep it out of your bottling bucket. The puree will probably clog your bottling wand as well if you use one.

As HB 99 said you might want to use another transfer and another week to make sure all the fruit chunks fall out.

Sounds like a good idea to transfer into another carboy and let it sit for a week if I don't want puree to make it into any bottles. Thanks for the advice.....
Brian

Wrap a hop bag around the bottom of the racking cane, this should strain out any stuff you don't want in your bottles. Another racking is just exposing your beer to more oxygen which is very bad at this point. I use the hop bag to strain out the hops after dry-hopping in secondary.

I have the last bottle of Mango-Peach Wit that I brewed, uhhh...last JULY. It's a growler, it's sitting in my fridge, and I'm thinking I'll drink it tonight. It's bound to have that spoiled fruit taste after all this time, but hey...it was my 2nd batch ever, so it's nostalgic.

Anyway, when I looked at it this morning, there was a big old chunk of mango or peach floating in the neck. I used whole fruit, and it was messy. Most of the bottles were gushers, due to, I suppose, sugars hiding inside the fruit. Oh well, what a great beer. But, to my point: I would definitely rack to another container. The risk of oxygenation isn't really something to worry about, as long as you make sure the output end of your racking tube is submersed as much as possible. The last thing you want are gushers...

Back